Tlr 250 Clutch

pitley

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....topic=2962&st=0

Have a look at the above - this has been discussed before but suggestions from me would be:

Buy new friction plates - I have one bike with Honda CG125 plates - these are supposedly best, contact Colin Appleyard M/Cs or Ellastone for suggestions. The springs may well be worn as well - the TLR can be quite hard on a clutch (dependinh how its driven) which is essentially designed for a 125 commuter bike.

I had great trouble with my other bike - similar problem, bought new friction plates and springs (EBC since needed them next day) - no better. Then bought new steel plates (even although steel plates did not look too bad) then when fitting realised the springs I had (EBC replacement) were much lighter than the originals.

I bought new Honda springs - no problems since

The EBC springs are wrongly catalogued for the tLR250 - EBC admitted this - I got a full refund but it caused me loads of grief.

To make the clutch lighter lengthen the operating arm by 20 - 25mm.

Gordon

Edited by g4321

Cheers gordon. clutch arm been done when i bought the bike, will try new springs etc.  have you lowered the compression on yours? If so did you use a spacer or gaskets?  Andy..

Andy

I have 2 TLR250's, one largely standard except exhaust (original front box with large bore pipe to small rear box) and one which is a Gollner Monoshock conversion (with a 2 piece Alloy exhaust - small front box and long/large volume rear box).

The std bike has a completetly different power delivery to the Gollner bike, much sharper and harder to ride, the Gollner Honda has a very smooth power delivery and consequently is much more forgiving to ride.

I have never had the head off of the std bike and am 99.9% sure the engine is standard. I have rebuilt the motor on the Gollner bike and fitted a very thick base gasket - 1.2mm (its the thickest gasket paper i had) after reading /hearing that this was advised for TLR's - the gasket that was on the bike when I got it was close to this thickness. This is the only change from standard to this engine. I suspect that this has more to do with the change in power delivery than the difference in exhaust and some day I will get round to pulling the head off my other bike to doi the same mod.

Gordon.

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon. got the clutch sorted on the tlr. I used a CR80 replacement clutch set and am now useing silkolene semi sinth oil. The bike will now take off in 3rd and 4th from standing,ride at tick over then full throttle and no slip at all!! Cheers for the old TC forum info on clutchs. Andy.