Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Trials Central

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2stroke4stroke

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by 2stroke4stroke

  1. ·

    Edited by 2stroke4stroke

    My apologies, it seems that model has the seal inboard of the main bearing on the drive and that's the side that could be causing your problem.  But you'd do both anyway.  Still simple enough for a competent mechanic.

  2. ·

    Edited by 2stroke4stroke

    1 hour ago, oni nou said:

    The future of trials competition in the UK ..https://youtu.be/ckr_Xo_wE04.... first rider through Jacob Wees Smog .................The future of trials competition in other parts of the world https://youtu.be/6IhYWueeRx4 

    You have a valid point but it highlights something:  In my heyday I could buy a bike pretty much the same as was used in the world rounds and I could use the annual performance improvements provided as they were appropriate for the sections I rode.  The bikes used today at world level would be pretty much unrideable by me now or by today's equivalent of me in my twenties.

  3. ·

    Edited by 2stroke4stroke

    I check the filter at least every time I wash the bike so putting any old bit of poly bag or whatever over the intake is no hardship.  How would you know the permanent cover had worked unless you looked? No effort saved then.

  4. ·

    Edited by 2stroke4stroke

    I tend to agree with Hillary and at one time would have been horrified that we didn't have a round but now, frankly, am not too bothered.  I can't summon up enough interest in WTC to read the results and there was a time when I would never have thought I could say that.

    What we can be sure of is that lack of a round will have absolutely no effect on entries at the many dozens, or more, of trials run each weekend involving hundreds, if not thousands, of riders, nor will it affect sales of new bikes, or anyone's enthusiasm for the sport.  Does this make WTC irrrelevant?

  5. ·

    Edited by 2stroke4stroke

    No wonder we think the Americans are profligate.  With reference to the photo above, and to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "That's not a minivan, this is a minivan" 128.9 inch overall length

    They were occasionally used to transport bikes but the pickup version was more commonly used for such (sometimes two bikes). Should have been delivered with a complimentary pair of wellington boots though☺

  6. ·

    Edited by 2stroke4stroke

    Dry the filter out on a radiator (or even use a hairdryer) and get out tomorrow!  Let us know how it goes.

  7. By the time seals need replacing then I find it worth stripping the forks to clean them - a lot of black stuff comes out.  I then use the old seal to drive the new one in.

  8. 14 hours ago, Lefebvre said:

    My 2018 Beta 200 Evo will go to the mechanic next week. I did no change for the rad coolant and it is as the dealer or Beta did for coolant inside the rad when I bought the bike. Is it safe to travel with the Evo in my trailer for 2 hours at -20C* outside. It is winter here. The coolant must be freezing proof as other bikes unless you change it? Thanks for your help.

    Whilst the coolant may be OK you are dealing with temperatures way below what most of us have experience of.  If you are that worried then the obvious remedy is to take a few seconds and drain the fluid completely for transit. 

  9. 16 hours ago, the dabster said:

    Thanks for the info and the picture.  I probably didn't word my question as well as I could have.  I have had a new one myself every year since 13' and never had a problem with any of the clutches till this current one.  I thought I imagined the lever getting stiffer but I'm also bothered with tendonitis so didn't think much more about it until I tried the clutch on another bike and realised there was a problem.  I spoke to someone knowledgeable about it and he inferred quite a few 18's had this problem and advised me to dress the fibre plates on fine wet and dry as they were swelling?  I also know someone that does a lot of work on trials bikes and he confirmed he had done quite a few.  There was also some info about the composition of the fibre plates having less asbestos which was replaced with an alternate material that was proving absorbent.  Sounds feasible enough and certainly concurs with my experience.  Add to this the switch to Kevlar and it all makes sense.

    Given that the use of asbestos has been illegal since some time towards the end of last century, Gas Gas will never have had the material in any clutch.

  10. 55 minutes ago, al_orange said:

    Doesn't matter what bike you're on or how confident you are, if you try doing a tight muddy turn without the correct body position then you're going to dab or spin out. Never mind something difficult. 

    Look at photos from the Seventies and compare them with modern riders.  The "correct" body position for many sections has changed, but the more extreme body lean from back then still seems to work (for me at least).

  11. 2 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

    I think it would be possible to revive a UK brand, but clearly developing a new engine is not cost effective.  The obvious thing is to buy in an engine and build a UK frame.  There are few engines available, The obvious one being Rotax as they are one of the few manufacturers that sell just engines.  I have no idea if the Rotax is suitable for this application?  They are sold for go-karts and I would think therefore have a different power delivery to that which a trials bike needs.  I'd love to hear if anyone has any expertise in this area.  Also I don't know if this meets the current Euro 4 needs?  Even with the UK out the EU we will still need to comply with all the European standards if we are to sell into that market.

    There is a good spread of technology there already with the Italian and Spanish bikes and Montesa Honda benefiting from the new EU-Japan deal.  It would be a very tough market to enter, particularly as an outsider.  That said the brands like BSA are very well known and could be a selling point, however you would first need to buy the brand from whoever owns it.

    Basically we are reinventing the wheel and the way to go is to buy the Chinese bike!

    Euro 4 is irrelevant with Euro 5 coming in to force in less than a year.  I wonder how many of the current trials manufacturers will be able to meet it.  I did read that it would require 30% lower emissions than Euro 4 but don't know how true that is. Perhaps there will be a way round it for small volume manufacturers.

    On another point - a few years ago we were all very happy with the weight of bikes that were much heavier than the current crop.  I''ve been riding for all but fifty years, in my experience the 4RT is a lightweight bike.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.