Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Trials Central

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

b40rt

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by b40rt

  1. ·

    Edited by b40rt

    I have an air cooled climber motor, but found the gearing very high, even with 10t gear box sprocket, and 54 tooth rear. Eventually I will change the crankshaft pinion and clutch basket for earlier ones.  Have fun !

    2 day trial at D'All is very good I'm told, are you riding this year. 

  2. 3 minutes ago, Mal8504925 said:

    Hi b40rt thanks for the reply. I’m in Fife (Scotland) my only concern was the available space to fit a weld repair and the chance of shattering what is there with heat stress. 

    @breagh Alan can you recommend anyone ?  I'm sure the plate would be ok being welded. 

     

  3. A competent welder should be able to repair that easily, there's no real stress on it so doesn't have to be super strong. Possible cause being the stator was loose for some time. Where are you so people can recommend a welder. 

  4. 1 hour ago, faussy said:

    Did they give you legitimate reasons for runner those ratios? Most don't! 

    Apparently these ratios are only ok if you mix fuel in 6L containers ?

  5. 44 minutes ago, konrad said:

    Not sure I understand your question.  The key size is based on the diameter. The tightening torque is a function of several parameters (e.g., grade, diameter, pitch) but length really does not enter into it.  Are you looking for a specific bolt?

     

    Yes, m8 for bottom shock mounts on twin shocks. No real stress on these, button tops don't tend to get snagged on passing scenery ?

  6. 3 hours ago, konrad said:

    My mistake, I'll blame my poor English skills.

    In the US, McMaster-Carr  https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-rounded-head-screws has been a great reference source for as long as I can remember.

    They say "fully threaded" or "partially threaded" (which is far less common).

    Appreciate your input, I've yet to find any "partial threaded" I'm assuming its because the relatively small allen key size isn't sufficient for proportionate torque ?

  7. 3 hours ago, midlife said:

    Years ago I raced Mx and had YZF 400 Yamaha .If it sat for a week I was difficult to start but if I drained the fuel and put fresh fuel in started no probs.

    Someone told me about the fuel loosing its kick in a plastic can so i put an alloy tank on the bike solved all the problems.

    I thought you ran everything on red diesel ??

  8. ·

    Edited by b40rt

    12 minutes ago, breagh said:

    So we've went backwards. never used to have any bother ,pistons , barrels ran for ever and always seemed to run fine.

    Now if you keep a bike a while they fill up with gunge carbs seem to go out of tune all the time there's always oil lying about motors even if you run them lean.

    I don't believe any modern oils are made with slow running cold 2t engines in mind and if they have they've not been tested in my back yard.

    Modern oil is probably better in old air cooled motors, at least they get hot !

    Speaking to a friend who's an excellent mechanic, his only comment was not to use fully synthetic engine oil in NEW engines until the rings have a chance to bed in. Excessive oil consumption due to bore becoming glazed was a problem with Vauxhall's for a time. 

  9. 8 minutes ago, faussy said:

    You're the one who doubted a guys legitimacy in riding trials just because you didn't know 6 litre petrol cans existed! If that already went over your head, I have a feeling adding more would also

    I doubted his legitimacy because he obviously can't back his statement with any facts. Quoting 2 stroke ratios for 6 litre containers, seems as pointless as your comments !

  10. 20 minutes ago, old trials fanatic said:

    FWIW i was told by the Motul rep ages ago that full synthetic in a trials bike doesnt burn away in the silencer because the motor doesnt get hot enough like a moto crosser or race bike so they recommended semi synthetic. Actually they recommended their "scooter oil". I've used semi synthetic ever since with no problem but i am sure many will disagree. Always a horny subject this with so many different "recommendations". As long as the user is happy then thats as good a result as you can hope for. 

    Thanks otf, so depending where you compete will make a difference, 4 times round a field, or more traditional trials with long climbs that get some heat into the engine. 

  11. 3 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

    Silkolene recommended I use semisynthetic in air cooled 70's motor when I asked their advice.  Various ratios suggested according to terrain/use but 50:1 for what we do.  Works fine with no sign of excessive smoke.

    Why only semisynthetic ?

     

  12. 1 hour ago, faussy said:

    Whats price got to do with? They are made by numerous manufacturers and are a far superior can. You obviously have never used one seeing that you didn't even know they existed. They are rather common with the gardening and landscaping fraternity. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

    Have you anything relevant to the topic to add ?  ( I think your last line should read "just because it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense )

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.