Does Anybody Make Reinforced Rims?

barrybaines

Well today was all going so well then I tired myself out a bit so had a break for a while, In came the rain so I got riding again too keep warm and trying some pretty big steps/climbs and staying happy with my riding again but as the day drew on we made our way back up towards where I wrecked my wheel last week.

I really should have known I was completely knackered but there was a nice step pointed too me and I thought balls too it lets have a go then :beer: why oh why did I do that! didn`t get the front wheel up any where near enough and you guessed it I now have a nice flat spot on my brand new rim :D

Hopefully this will dress out with my mate the hammer tomorrow

I`d like too point out that after I tried this Atomant had a go and after a few goes got up there with a one which pushed R2w into doing the same :) fair play guys and all in was a real good day again

Edited by barrybaines

I think Beta should slap an ASBO on Barry :) That poor machine of his must be thinking.. OMG here we go again. :)

To be fair though the guy is fearless and where it takes me a while to look at it a few times he just looks at it once and has a go like its a 9" brick :D Fair play.

But that hill climb we done at the beginning was pretty good too :) Some great terrain and cant wait to go back there...... after I recover that is :beer:

Only got my reeds off Heath today so not got em in yet! but had a quick go on Heaths early on and seemed very responsive, he was very happy with the outcome at the end of the day and I can`t wait too get mine on maybe the front will rise a little earlier than it has!

Atom... whats this recover about? I thought I was totalled when I got home but a good shower and a nice meal and i`m ready for more! But I think i`ll give the bike a little rest and give it a good bit of maintainance tomorrow

Atom... whats this recover about?

When I got home I couldn't get out the motor. Knackered like you mate but a nice radox bath soon and then maybe be alright !!

Is it a 2Lb lump hammer type maintenance you talking about :D

well was thinking more along the lines of a block of wood and hide faced mallet too be fair plus the bikes gotta be ripped apart too fit my new reeds so I may as well do a oil change while i`m at it.

I may be taking it a little easy for the next couple of weeks now as I really cannot afford that rim too split! although I do always say i`m gonna have an easy day next week but something happens when I get out and I get a bit silly! :D

why oh why did I do that! didn`t get the front wheel up any where near enough and you guessed it I now have a nice flat spot on my brand new rim :beer:

Hopefully this will dress out with my mate the hammer tomorrow

are you trying to ride through these steps rather than up them :D

Right then after a day of repairs and fitting the new v-force reeds purposley leaving the front wheel til last, out it came and off with the tyre, and all my worst nightmares came true at once!!!

Not only is the BIG flat spot bigger than I thought but its on the weld and has actually put a nice curve in the whole bloody wheel!!! :D and just when you think it can`t get worse you have another look at the wheel too see another smaller ding oppsite the big one and on the other side of the rim!

So thats my riding over for a couple of weeks possibly even months now I am going too try a few local wheel builders see if they can straighten the thing but I don`t hold out too much hope

Just run the wheel the way it is and you will be ahead. Retension the spokes to pick up the slack, call it a "FEATURE" and keep riding. ( this is assuming that the bead is still holding in place.)

Almost assuredly when you try and straighten it, it will work harden and crack. (don't ask how I know) but if you do decide that you want to straighten it, dismount your tire, duct tape the edge, and use a large adjustable wrench and slowly taking lots of little bites over the entire area bring it back into shape.

Whatever alloy they use in those things does not like welding much. I am probably going to weld one of mine, but have been cautioned by my freind that is a very experienced motorsports welder that the odds of true success are slim. But most of his are MX repairs, I am hoping that Trials bike, and put it on my daughters or wifes bike and I will not have that problem.

They will run fine cracked for a long time with no problems,,, Then again, you do seem rather tough on them lately. :D

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Get and Excel rim laced up to one of your existing hubs. (contact Talon for a price)

Might be marginally heavier, but much stronger than the Morad rim - I think there only made of chocolate anyway. (1.6 x 21)

Jarvis, Connor used this set up.

Get and Excel rim laced up to one of your existing hubs. (contact Talon for a price)

Might be marginally heavier, but much stronger than the Morad rim - I think there only made of chocolate anyway. (1.6 x 21)

Jarvis, Connor used this set up.

Central Wheel components at Coleshill not far from the NEC, do heavier duty rims and in any colour.

I had a black set done for my Gas Gas a few years ago and they were magic.