What's Up With U.s Trials ?

muddytires

Why hasn't trials caught on as a popular known sport in the u.s ? I,m from England originally and have lived quite a few years in Spain, where trials is like a national sport. Competitions are televised on national tv and events are everywhere. I am confused at why it hasnt caught on over here , where other spectator sports such as supercross are so big. Is it because of names like Jordi Tarres in Spain, or lampkin in England ? Armstrong made cycling in the U.S very popular ,after winning the Tour 7 times. Everyone was out buying a road bike. To see an indoor trials competition is amazing and well worth the ticket prices. Can anyone explain why someone isnt out there making millions promoting this great sport. Its been around a while. My grandfather used to compete in trials or scrambles back in the 50's.

Edited by muddytires

Seems some guy named Wilf is holding things back a bit....

Im not to sure of the details.

There is a Knowledgeable fellow that pokes around on this site who seems to have all the answers....

It all started back in the seventies......apparently :D

Living the saga, we seem to have a disconnect within the sanctioning organizations. The controlling group is the NATC (North American Trials Committee) but it is closed to the general rider who belongs to the AMA (American Motorcycle Association). There is no AMA membership voice within the NATC, and with regard to trials the AMA is a rubberstamp for the NATC. While this arrangement does work, we have trials in the USA, it is difficult to move from the status quo. Is there a better way to go, maybe, but as long as the current regime doesn't want to alter their present course, not very likely. Of course there's also hidden agendas, secret agreements, and other Machiavellian activities that work hard at keeping the trials community in line and somewhat placated. In the short term things will continue as they have for over 30 years, but time has a habit of changing the course of events, even if indirectly.

And now for my obligitory statement of allegiance to the NATC, "I swear that I shall take no action, unless so directed by the NATC, that will alter the existing trial organization in America". Whew, I don't want them knocking on my door.

Living the saga, we seem to have a disconnect within the sanctioning organizations. The controlling group is the NATC (North American Trials Committee) but it is closed to the general rider who belongs to the AMA (American Motorcycle Association). There is no AMA membership voice within the NATC, and with regard to trials the AMA is a rubberstamp for the NATC. While this arrangement does work, we have trials in the USA, it is difficult to move from the status quo. Is there a better way to go, maybe, but as long as the current regime doesn't want to alter their present course, not very likely. Of course there's also hidden agendas, secret agreements, and other Machiavellian activities that work hard at keeping the trials community in line and somewhat placated. In the short term things will continue as they have for over 30 years, but time has a habit of changing the course of events, even if indirectly.

And now for my obligitory statement of allegiance to the NATC, "I swear that I shall take no action, unless so directed by the NATC, that will alter the existing trial organization in America". Whew, I don't want them knocking on my door.

What a load of B*****ks Papa, every club in the USA can run it's event's just how ever they see fit.

If they want to run a national round, then yes! they do have to run it to the rules and regulations of the governing body, no different than the FIM or ACU.

As for saying no membership voice of the AMA, every person attending the NATC agm meeting will more likely than not, be an AMA member.

As Lane keeps posting all this ****, you must keep in mind he has been caring this grudge for thirty + years, and going to make sure you hear about it for the next 30 years, very sick, yes hits might jump on the site while people get a kick out of the forum for a while, but eventually site sponsors will start walking away has he will say anything about anyone.

One thing that does bother me though, If it was a English chap writing the same **** about the British champ riders or importers, or other people working hard for the sport, they would soon be ousted, Is the TC administration slipping, do we have a double standard here?

Well the simple fact of life is $$ talk's, and I would think Lanes, and is world would soon be kicked into touch when it starts effecting site sponsorship.

What a load of bollox Papa, every club in the USA can run it's event's just how ever they see fit.

If they want to run a national round, then yes! they do have to run it to the rules and regulations of the governing body, no different than the FIM or ACU.

As for saying no membership voice of the AMA, every person attending the NATC agm meeting will more likely than not, be an AMA member.

As Lane keeps posting all this ****, you must keep in mind he has been caring this grudge for thirty + years, and going to make sure you hear about it for the next 30 years, very sick, yes hits might jump on the site while people get a kick out of the forum for a while, but eventually site sponsors will start walking away has he will say anything about anyone.

One thing that does bother me though, If it was a English chap writing the same **** about the British champ riders or importers, or other people working hard for the sport, they would soon be ousted, Is the TC administration slipping, do we have a double standard here?

Well the simple fact of life is $$ talk's, and I would think Lanes, and is world would soon be kicked into touch when it starts effecting site sponsorship.

Its a free world and anyone can voice an opinion just like you just have if you dont like what he says! (Although I would kindly ask for it not to get personal). The people posting will make their comments and views heard I am sure.

With respect to the UK scene, many of us are pretty vocal on our dislikes with the way it is in the UK but again others can and do give their opposing views . Is that not the whole point of a discussion forum like this?

Seems like i touched a nerve here ! I am not getting personal or disrespecting the american way of doing things. I was just stating that it would be nice if the sport was promoted more here in the U.S. Nor am i saying that it is bigger in Europe because of the riders. I just think the U.s is missing out. The more places like the Trials training center and more clubs , the better. Why are some of you taking this personally ?

I have one US sponsor and that's Ryan Young (and I suspect he is overdue for renewal!) The poor exchange rate has prevented many of those who might otherwise have taken up sponsorship.

Would Lane's rantings have an effect on sponsorship? I don't think so. Only a small percentage of overall site readership bother with the forums. Of the 2500 registered members, only about 300 are active posters. The rest are either dead users or lurkers. Compare that to the 7000+ who read the world round articles and it's small fry. They (and most forum users) don't care about the ramblings of one person.

Is the TC administration slipping? I'd like to think not. I've not received any complaints, but must admit I've taken the opportunity of the break in the world championship to take a bit of a break from the site myself. It's been a hectic year and I need to get away from the site a bit - hence it's not been watched as closely as it might have been otherwise. There is a button on every post that allows anybody to report any message they feel objectionable. Please use that if you feel it necessary as I simply can't police every topic and every message.

I agree Donmurry, but it still puzzles me why watching cars drive around in circles in Nascar is more interesting than say rally car racing, which is another sport that is taking a while to catch on in america.

But it is happening. Look at Travis pastrana beating Colin mccray at the x games. Great stuff.

It is the almighty dollar guys, nothing beats it.

how do you sell tickets to a rally? lets see: stand somewhere along the 12 mile course, to see cars stream by one every minute or so? or like Nascar, where you see 42 cars in some cases all around the track all at once for like 2.5 hours or more... (like bristol, the BEST ticket in nascar IMHO but also the rarest only like 500000 seats at that track...)

If you had basketball or football like trials or rally contests, you would be hard pressed to sell tickets.

Lets see... Football, rally style... Hmm invision, each house with usable front yard, on the block of Second Avenue, will see one play. then we move onto the next yard...

• 2 weeks later...

Advertising is also ignored.

Who went to Rhode Island?

How many signs did you see pointing you in the right direction?

No advertisements were plastered any where near any high way.

Small loop markers were posted up.

I thought that the RI trials club did a great job and if any of them read this i had a great time.

I just didnt see any advertising.

I must have talked to about four people at gas stations on how to get to the place.

Locals 5 miles away knew nothing of this event.

I personally feel that if you advertise and encourage spectators it would hit off huge.

Make it accessable in the US.

They can choose from there to watch nascar and sit on the couch or come and watch from there.

-Biff