Snapped Bolt - Fork

waynepanda

Like AJ said, be carefull when drilling it out, make sure your nice and centred with it. May have to check some of my bolts later after the off I had today, made Barry look like a Novice, will suffer tomorrow I think!!!!!! Ralph it was D0g ****!!!!!!!

Edited by Betarev3

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually a common problem on Beta's. For what ever reason Beta uses cheap bolts in this area. Do yourself a favor and remove both bolts and replace them with a high quality type. My friend and I both used bolts out of our old vintage Bultaco stock pile. If you over tighten it will brake.....these pinch bolts do not need to be tight. I've heard and seen many people riding with just one. But if your down to one change the other one out.

I love my Betas but I've got to agree with Rick1: Some of the bolts ARE on the soft side and it's easy to round the heads or snap them unless you're very careful (axle pinch, mudguard stay and brake disc bolts particuarly). I've replaced them all with new stainless ones on my bike and although any problems I've had in the past may well be purely a consequence of my own ham-fistedness, it makes me feel better to know that it's no longer a danger.

I'm one of those eedjits who's snapped a pinch bolt in the past. :unsure:

something I do on all my vehicles/pushbikes well bloody anything really if anything looks sus or weak it`ll get replaced (nut/bolt wise) with a stainless equivalant (could be weaker than mild steel but shouldn`t seize in so easy) copper slipped up in the right places or loctited in and fannys your aunt, think its just a general engineering thing built into too my head.

Edited by barrybaines

Outlaw Dave,

I beg to differ. I love my Betas but they are not perfect. I have several buddies who all ride Betas of various model years (all Rev 3s). 3 of these 5 have had the pinch bolts break. I have had mine on and off several times over the years with no problem until the one time it broke. Others have had it off once and it broke. It is not from overtightening. I have seen several other bikes at local events with a pinch bolt missing. Local dealer has noticed the same.

On another subject I recently purchased a new Beta and here are some things to watch for.

1. Brake rotor bolts loosen up when new. Take them all off and loctite them back on.

2. Frame bolts loosen up do same to them.

3. My clutch side engine side cover leaked oil near the bottom. Discovered a burr on engine side case did not allow gasket to seal properly (very disappointed given Beta's typical quality motor build). I knew a guy a few years back who could never solve this problem now I think I know what his problem was.

4. Header pipe to mid pipe was not aligned / sealed tight and spewed exhausted two stroke oil droplets all over the place. Removed mid pipe and seal both ends with a hightemp silicone seal.

5. Clutch line was routed at a very sharp angle and against exhaust mid pipe unlike other Betas I looked at.

6. Fuel line was cut to an unusually long length and was touching exhaust pipe. Trimed it shorter to get it away from exhaust.

7. Make carb mods noted in other thread on this web page.

8. Fender was red/orange again. Take it off and paint it a different color.....mine is black looks sharp.

9. Stock bars are a bar width taller than Renthals, I like that, so I left them on.

10. Add a small mud flap to bottom of front fender. This small addition will work wonders at keeping mud out of your radiator.

I am sure there are other things to watch for.

I must have gotten a bike that was built on a Friday or a trainee.

Outlaw Dave,

I beg to differ. I love my Betas but they are not perfect. I have several buddies who all ride Betas of various model years (all Rev 3s). 3 of these 5 have had the pinch bolts break. I have had mine on and off several times over the years with no problem until the one time it broke. Others have had it off once and it broke. It is not from overtightening. I have seen several other bikes at local events with a pinch bolt missing. Local dealer has noticed the same.

On another subject I recently purchased a new Beta and here are some things to watch for.

1. Brake rotor bolts loosen up when new. Take them all off and loctite them back on.

2. Frame bolts loosen up do same to them.

3. My clutch side engine side cover leaked oil near the bottom. Discovered a burr on engine side case did not allow gasket to seal properly (very disappointed given Beta's typical quality motor build). I knew a guy a few years back who could never solve this problem now I think I know what his problem was.

4. Header pipe to mid pipe was not aligned / sealed tight and spewed exhausted two stroke oil droplets all over the place. Removed mid pipe and seal both ends with a hightemp silicone seal.

5. Clutch line was routed at a very sharp angle and against exhaust mid pipe unlike other Betas I looked at.

6. Fuel line was cut to an unusually long length and was touching exhaust pipe. Trimed it shorter to get it away from exhaust.

7. Make carb mods noted in other thread on this web page.

8. Fender was red/orange again. Take it off and paint it a different color.....mine is black looks sharp.

9. Stock bars are a bar width taller than Renthals, I like that, so I left them on.

10. Add a small mud flap to bottom of front fender. This small addition will work wonders at keeping mud out of your radiator.

I am sure there are other things to watch for.

I must have gotten a bike that was built on a Friday or a trainee.

what year?