Dent In Ossa Tank

vaughan

post-3272-1159387168.jpgHi, Can anyone advise how to get a big dent out of my Ossa petrol tank, the bike fell against a wall and has a 7" dent along the length, apart from that the tank is unmarked and still has original paint.

The tank is an Aluminium type, Im located in the UK Co Durham.

Cheers,

Vaughan.

Edited by vaughan

It would be rather helpful if you would post where you are located on an international board such as this, sometimes what is readilly available to me here, you may never find where you are located.

Anyway, if you were around me, I would tell you too look in the phone book for paintless dent repair, or hail damage repair or contact a large body shop and ask if they have someone they use, or your insurance agent should have someone they use.

Basicly, they will reach down through the neck of the tank using spoons and other shaped bars and push the dent back out. It does not appear creased so it should be a relatively straight forward repair for them.

Normally I do this type of work myself, but as it is an "odd" Ossa tank, with the odds of me finding another somewhere between slim and none, and I think Slim fell off the truck,,,, I would spend the money, and have a guy that did that all day, 40 hours a week, do that one.

It is amazing what those guys can do.

If you are in some dern ferrrin land,,,,, Beats me. :wacko:

Gee Al, do they have PDR in Tenn?

I was going to tell him to blow like he-------! well nevermind :beer:

Closer inspection reveals what may be a definite crease in what may be an aluminum tank.

Not a job for an amature! But it may work out!

If worse comes to worse, send it to Al. He utilizes some unique underwater welding techniques to open them up like a Sherco muffler, beat them out, and weld them back without blowing up! Very specialized stuff! :wacko:

He likes to live DANGEROUSLY!

It would be rather helpful if you would post where you are located on an international board such as this, sometimes what is readilly available to me here, you may never find where you are located.

Anyway, if you were around me, I would tell you too look in the phone book for paintless dent repair, or hail damage repair or contact a large body shop and ask if they have someone they use, or your insurance agent should have someone they use.

Basicly, they will reach down through the neck of the tank using spoons and other shaped bars and push the dent back out. It does not appear creased so it should be a relatively straight forward repair for them.

Normally I do this type of work myself, but as it is an "odd" Ossa tank, with the odds of me finding another somewhere between slim and none, and I think Slim fell off the truck,,,, I would spend the money, and have a guy that did that all day, 40 hours a week, do that one.

It is amazing what those guys can do.

If you are in some dern ferrrin land,,,,, Beats me. :guinness:

Edited by copemech

Hey,,,,,,,,,,

That tank only blew up twice while I was cutting it apart :beer:

It had over one quart of rust and "tank Seal" in the thing that was holding all the darn vapors and when the plasma got in the right (well maybe wrong) place..... :beer:

But I believe that tank to be working today... If it went wrong, it was on that crappy a$$ brazing job I did when I found where they had used brass earlier in building the tank :wacko:

I took that shiny spot to just be paint flaking from the bend. If it is creased there (I looked again and cannot really decide) it will definetely add to the level of difficulty but again, it is all the more where the really good guy at PDR will earn his money.

And even I don't blow the tanks,,,, I heard it gets exciting :guinness: