Beta 4-stroke

kinell

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be going of the subject a little but who's rev 4 is in the T&MX with Jon stood by it because there is a Dunlop sticker on the top of the fork leg.

Has it been made up for someone or do they come with Dunlop on. Would Michelin be peeved there name is not on the bike when it come with Michelins on them? :wacko:

What is a constant velocity carb? :)

I second that motion!

Also would someone care to download the high res picture and make a low res version of it for us dial up users please, I would be very thankful :wacko:

Edited by Felix

As I understand it (and I prepare to stand corrected), a CV carb uses vacuum pressure to move the slide via a side-valve operated by the throttle cable as opposed to the slide being directly connected to and actuated by the cable. I always assumed that a CV carb required a return cable due to the increased possibility of the throttle sticking open but the 4T doesn't seem to have one (although it does have a trick-looking throttle body... maybe there's something in there that does the same/similar job).

Has anyone ridden the Sherco and Mont back to back and posted a review?

I rode the 2005 models of both on the same day. The review was published Dirt Bike magazine in America.

What exactly do you want to know?

I seemed to have missed your review I think this might because i live in England and don't subcribe to Dirt Bike Mag. I'd be interested in summary of your results and highlighting the main differences between the bikes. If you have an opponion on which bike is best could you explain in detail why?

The reason why i'm asking is because there are no Sherco 320's where i ride and i'm wondering if this is because the bike is not as good as the 4rt, or some other reason?

Thanks,

Since you've asked, plenty of people with experience with both have chimed in. I don't know that I have a lot more to offer.

The first Sherco 320 just didn't seem like a finished bike to me. Starting it was absurd. If you got the process down, you could do it in two solid kicks. If something was amiss, you could kick it until you were ready to open the gas cap and use the bike for a signal fire (a la On Any Sunday). Right there, you have a huge problem. A bike that is difficult to start will fatigue you, both mentally and physically.

Powerwise, I just found the 320 to be lumpy. The motor's power deliver felt like a retro four-stroke, rather than something modern. I never felt as confident wicking open the Sherco's carb as I did the Montesa's EFI. Also, the large displacement motor makes the bike feel heavier than it actually is, due to all that rotating mass.

The Montesa 4RT is, clearly, a work of modern industrial art. It's obvious that the Montesa was designed from scratch while the Sherco's R&D was done on the cheap. On the downside, the Montesa idles high and has too much power down low, for me. We're talking a 1700 rpm idle and maximum torque at 3500 rpm. That just about guarantees abrupt delivery off idle. Fortunately, it's only a 250, though I would probably prefer a smoother 200.

I'm sure the 2005 Sherco 320 is something the factory would rather forget. :wacko: