Computer Struggling To Start Up

andy m

I am not a computer wizz, but I think a few on here are. When I turned it on earlier and went through the Mcafee security rigmarole etc and tried to log on the web it was if the page kept siezing and nothing happens after. Pressed the mouse key a few times and heard a small bleep and then nothing. It took six start ups to get on and around 40 minutes. I am doing a defrag at present. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. :D

i use mcafee security aswell,jesus it slow's my computer up a hell of alot when starting up,and then when i connect to the net it start's downloading update's it feel's like im there for ever in a day untill i can start surfing.

i cleared mcafee of once and restarted and everthing worked nice and quick..im using an old pc so in my case mcafee could just be struggling with what it's working with

Hi all,

McAfee, Symantec, Norton.............all bloatware IMHO.

Better off, and cheaper loading up something like BitDefender, AVG etc..........and they are relatively free and Cpu friendly!

It sounds like your PC needs a good clean out......probably riddled with all sorts of spyware and other apps on startup....nothing serious mind you, just enough to slow things down a good bunch.

If it were me, i'd download Adaware, or MS Defender, download Bitdefender AV then, pull your internet connection, uninstall McAfee....install Adaware etc and give them a good run/scan.......re-boot a couple of times make sure you are protected once again then restore your internet connection.

Ian.

Thanks to all for confirming that purchasing an Apple Macintosh computer was a wise decision.

:D

Wow that's great - they make a browser for Mac's these days. Good to see you on here :D

For those of us with inferior machines - here's a good start for AVG antivirus and antispyware (used to be caled Ewido) - Clicky here - they don't advertise the free version quite as well as they used to.

In your start menu - choose run - type msconfig - press enter - and a window will appear, the tab on the far right shows what Windows tries to run when your computer starts up, clear this list down and your computer should start up a lot quicker, hope this helps. :D

Thanks to all for confirming that purchasing an Apple Macintosh computer was a wise decision.

Hackers debut Mac OS X adware

Apple blocks Mac OS X security holes

McAfee warns over Apple virus risk

Firefox and Mac security sanctuaries 'under attack'

Virus dances onto Mac OS X

Plenty more where those came from...

Interesting quote from one of them... "Symantec has renewed its assault of the perceived security advantages of Apple Macs. "Mac users may be operating under a false sense of security as a noteworthy number of vulnerabilities and attacks were detected against Apple Mac

Heh.

That's an amusing scare tactic sales pitch from Symantec.

I've been on the WWW since 1994 (remember Mosaic?).

Never had a virus. Never had a anti-virus program. :D

You've either been very lucky, very careful, or just don't know you have viruses.