Because there is usually more than 5 bikes at a trial

Laps prevent long queues forming

You can go fast and crash

Even better, watch someone else crash

See some pretty scenery

Feel like you've actually done some exercise

Etc. :)

You forgot "It's easier to get lost" :xmas:

I did'nt know you had to play it by the book, can't you do the section 3 time's and then move on to the next so your wife can watch you.when my mrs say's to me in the morning she want's to come and watch me i normally say ok im just going to load the van up and drive off as fast as i can.

I like to mix my section's up so i meet diffrent people on the way round to chat to.

Riders ae supposed to ride each section in turn, not ride sections randomly or several times per lap. This is the general rule and best way to keep a level playing field for everyone. Imagine a 10 section 4 lap trial where a couple of sections will deteriorate badly when the rain that is coming arrives. A rider who rides these 2 sections 4 times each on the first lap whilst they are still rideable gains a distinct advantage over those who ride them each lap in turn and at their worst on later laps. In short, they've cheated.

It also keeps the trial flowing and avoids large queues at certain sections - imagine if an entire entry of 70 - 80 riders wanted to ride those 2 sections 4 times on the first lap...

OK, since we are all being a little crazy here. Why not have all the sections in one central location (for the spectators) and you ride a loop after each section. For example ride section 1 get on a loop trail that take you out and back to the same area and then go to section 2, ride it and back out on the same or a different loop etc.

The loop ride is half the fun and does add a bit of an endurance test to the whole thing.

Incidently how the heck did "rock crawling" 4x4s make it on to the TV screen so regularly (Spike TV) and not trials. Its the same flipping thing but on 4 wheels. I don't get it. How many people do you know have rock crawling rigs versus how many have trials bikes.

Its like lumberjack competitions on ESPN who the heck watches that.........cheerleading competition :xmas: , that I get.

One of the things that we have looked at for different trials is to do a "cloverleaf" type loop, where the loop goes out from a central point, then comes back in for a section, then goes back out etc. You could have say 4 sections right close to the camp, then 4 sections out on the ends of the leaves. While the spectators would not see everything, it would give them time to move from one section to the next beside them (it may be say section 1 too section 3) while the riders are out on the loop and completing #2.

Bikini Cheerleading on Trials bikes!!! That will bring the spectators.

I don't think you want me riding around in a bikini....

I will let you use your immagination (Make sure to use lots of hair) on that one.

I need a break man!

A hard section wears me out. An easy section gets me back on track with a rest.

Plus i enjoy the trail ride, If i didnt get to ride the loop i wouldnt have eaten as many bugs this season...

That clover leaf idea is pretty keen hmmm i may have to use that one.

Our property is 36 acers (about the size of oaklahoma) and that would be handy.

--Biff

If you don't get it you need to go do it once. I worked for a man who raced Late Model dirt track oval cars. I thought "How BORING" round and round she goes........... BUT!!! man was that exciting being in on the action! Setting the car up differently for different tracks. Changing it through the night to keep it handling. Very cool.

I too have watched the rock crawling and thought the same as you. But if I went and did it I may reconsider.

I thought the same about trials a few years ago!

I had several friends go to watch the world round in TN. They are not trials riders and some only casually trail ride. All were AMAZED and talk about it every time I see them. There's something about standing across from some unbelieveable hillclimb that a camera just doesn't capture.

I agree making it a more spectator friendly sport would help popularity.

There could be a spectator loop and a rider loop. A setup like All is talking about with a path to the outer sections. I realize all area's are different, However more focus on this aspect could make a positive difference.

All these posts about making "it" more spectator friendly, better for the spectators blah blah blah :)

err just remind me why do we need to?

Since when was Trials a "spectator sport" ?

Woodie got it right. Really p****s me off when people blatently cheat by riding sections 2 or 3 times to gain an unfiar advantage or CHEAT as we call it here :agree:

Trials started as an endurance event a test of the machines endurance and ability to cope with the "trials" thrown at it. Observed sections were added to test the rider and machine.

Some of the best trials i have ridden in have all involved road work. Usually a 20 ish mile lap.

Great scenery, great terrain, all in all a "proper" day out.

So remind me why do we have to reorganise the way Trials are run for the spectators sake? :xmas:

Trials doesn't have to change at all. The idea is to plan so that spectators can watch without much difficulty.

If the promotor could spark enough interest he may be able to make a few dollars on spectating, more people may become interested so a few more bikes will be sold and they may bring more spectators.

Do I need to get out the crayons??