200 V 250

dabber

Is it still a 160cc motor???? I'm a great fan in the 'less is better' way of doing things, however I still think that the 199cc Beta is still underpowered enough to not get me into too much trouble. Any ideas on how the '200' Beta compares with the '200' Sherco?

Is it still a 160cc motor????  I'm a great fan in the 'less is better' way of doing things, however I still think that the 199cc Beta is still underpowered enough to not get me into too much trouble.  Any ideas on how the '200' Beta compares with the '200' Sherco?

Having had both Beta 200 and Sherco 160 for my daughter I can say they are very similar in power and both managed happily hauling me around.

I ride a sherco 200 in club, centre and national trials on the clubman route (including the ssdt). It is rare to find a section that it will not cope with and i find it far easier to control than bigger bikes. I think most clubmen riders would do better on a little bike than the 280,s etc that are capable of world round sections. Try a sherco 200, you will not regret it

When I went to test them I actually really fancied the 250, partly because I was coming from a 250 TYZ (and more importantly my bro has a 200).

I am 6'5 and big bro is 6'7. I weigh 15 - 16 stone he weighs a little (ahem) more. The 200 is fine for him - the ONLY time you could say it was less than perfect was when he only got to the 1 board on a graded hillclimb. (But bear in mind that the mark lost on that section was the only lost on the whole lap).

I pick it up at the weekend, once the preload has been wound up a bit. Will report back.

Big John - you ride it in bottom for most sections?

The 200 Sherco is not a bored out 125 it is actually an undersized 2.5 / 2.9.

Sherco uses the same basic engine on all of the bikes 0.8 - 2.9. The cranks are common on the 2.5 and 2.9 and on the 0.8 - 2.00 (stroke is 50.6mm) The smaller bikes use a lighter flywheel as I understand it, some of the US Champ riders install the 1.25 flywheel on thier 2.9's when riding at altitude.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my first proper trial today on my 01 250 since replacing the main bearings.

The previous owner had the timing retarded and had THREE! base gaskets fitted!!.

I've now put it back to 'normal' and the bike is a dream to ride, nice and crispy engine note with loads of grip in the snowy/ icy condtions at our local trail today.

The thing that amazed me was you didn't need much throttle to get the thing to go.....I've not tried the 290 or the 200, but I can't see why anyone would want any more (or less) than the 250.

cheers

Mark

Just remains to be seen how the new 350 four stroke goes, which is a replica of the factory bike although price will be substantially higher than current prices (apparently)

Rumours say that it will be sold in limited numbers to help offset some of the development cost, but the two strokes shall continue to be the main sellers.

Wayne,

wrote:

"The 200 Sherco is not a bored out 125 it is actually an undersized 2.5 / 2.9."

Can a "200" top end be put on a 250 with a 9.4mm spacer?

Would the 200 piston wrist pin fit the 250 conn. rod?

If so the bore/stroke would be 64 x 60mm = 192.9cc

Now that would be GREAT if possible!

Mick

• 1 year later...