Yamaha Ty250 1984

Guest Lampkin

Guest Lampkin

i have a yam ty250 1984 i am 13 years old and find it quite heavy and would like a newer bike but i absolutly love my TY its an extremly fun bike and does ok in trials plus it never breaks like newer models do!

does anyone else have one of these bikes?

cya richard longstaff

post-12-1080396852.jpg

Marky G has got a Pinky which was the last of the air cooled mono's.He swears by it.I don't suppose there's many(if any)differences between the bike you have and his but he'd tell you more than I can.All I know is he keep kicking my ass every weekend(having said that I'm crap at trials and I ride a twin shock!)

Cheers, :huh:

:huh: Hey Bruce - I think he is from the UK - The 84 TY was sold in huge numbers in the UK - A very successful bike and promoted by Nigel Birkett and Mick Andrews. The 84 did have a tendancy to break cases if the chain came off - the Sammy Miller guard elimintes this - they also broke rear hubs - the later models came with a stronger hub. The 350 was only sold in the USA in 85 and then in Canada in 86 - the rear shock was about the only difference on the 86 TY 350 bike. The 350 also had a chrome bore.

Some riders, like Stan Bakgaard, fitted a 250 top end to the 350 bike as they preferred the power. - Mick Andrews also made a 270 version at a later date. The Canadian Dealer who sold most TY models was the late Joe Brown of Victoria BC - he is being honoured this weekend, with the "Joe Brown Memorial Trial" at Shawnigan Lake BC.

Guest Lampkin

yeah im from the U.K and love my bike wat i meant by it never breakin is coz its heavier the parts rnt as flimsyish but the weight of a newer bike makes up for that. i do swear by my bike aswell though. :wacko:

i love my bike would like a newer one that is why i am selling my honda 1970s 125 to raise money to buy a newer gas gas. :huh:

anyway i went out on bike and even though its pretty heavy im so glad for the large tank (just got me home JUST)!

hers a pic of my honda and my dads bultaco

post-12-1080587130.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Dave. My Ty does have a re-inforced back hub, but just the stock chain guard. I imagine the Miller guard is the type that fits tightly around the front sprocket, to keep the chain from 'piling up' between the sprocket and cases if it breaks? I might have to invest in something like that when I get the bike up and running again. (it's currently waiting for some engine repairs).

BTW, I have heard the ACU run an air-cooled monoshock class at vintage events, have you considered doing something similar for your Outlaw trial? It could be run as a kind of support class, keeping the glory for the twin-shocks... just something I was thinking about, it would give me a good excuse to keep the old bike.

Richard, good luck with the sale of your TL, I think you will be pleased with a new bike when you get one. As much as I like my TY, it can't match the performance of my GG.

Edited by brucej

ab:

Last time i checked with bob he didn't have any, that was year back. I need the little clevis also, that will be harder to find or adapt from something else.

One of my 'ty in a box' projects came without both parts, so I assume it had the clevis moved to the extender, then someone took it off before I got the stuff.

no rush, i'll ck with bob again later.

tks, kcj