Acu Classic Trial Championship

tone

I am considering riding the ACU Classic Trials but do not know what level of rider they cator for. Can anybody give some advice or share the benefit of their experiences?

I have been riding in the South Midland Centre 50/50 championship for the last couple of years and have coped reasonably well. Having said that, I do not feel like I want to attempt some of the more severe sections (I have work to go to on the Monday) and although the mind might be willing the aches and pains suggest the body is not quite so willing.

Tone

I tend to do the ones that are pretty local to me (shrops and mid wales) I must admit I never did any last year but the prevoius years trials have a really good day out, sections are about on par with my local clubs clubman course (just what I'm after :blink: )

I wouldn't go as far as to say they were 'lame' :icon_rendeer: .......they tend to be set out with the older bike in mind......

The only way you'll tell if there any good is to ride one :wacko:

the acu classic series is as tough as it gets for p65 /classics. on a modern bike though they are a good ride out and thats why they are so popular with the modern bike riding clubman for the p65/ classics rider only the very best should ride if birkett and talesy ride twin shocks and drop plenty then thats a mark of how tough they are.

You don't say what bike you're competing on and this changes the perception of how difficult the series is. If you're on a modern bike I'd suggest that any of the sidecar rounds, with the exception of the Peak you will find a bit on the soft side as they don't offer much of a challenge to the better twinshock/pre65 riders. Personally I wish they'd drop them as it seems they are only classic rounds to bolster entries and make the sidecar trials viable (I've nothing against sidecars but the sections in those events aren't set for the solos)

Of the remainder:-

Newquay Cornwall - long way to go and one of the easier rounds. I rode it in its first year and it was too easy, didn't go last year and I was told it was better. I'll go again this year. It's only just outside Newquay so you could make a weekend of it.

Lancs County and Bootle - two of the best rounds and both on the same weekend this year so an overnight stop up in Lancs or Cumbria necessary. Well worth it though. Both are hard but not in the bike or limb mashing way. They are technical sections and mainly rocks (streams, outcrops, gulleys) and can be energy sapping. You have to be line perfect or lose marks, that's where the difficulty factor lies. Once you start centipeding they can be energy sapping and that is when the scores can rise.

Welsh Trohy - If Rhayader club run it then it's not to be missed as even though it is a sidecar trial it is perfect for the solos too. Good mix of sections. If Mid Wales run it then it is generally too easy but if they do, it is still at Rhayader this year so who knows. When they run it it is normally at a different venue.

Phil King - Colchester. This has been a cracking trial in the past but often criticised as being too hard. It was always held in February so copped the worst of the weather. Big banks with big climbs and descents which are hard if wet - and they were. Personally I loved it even though the Ossa was lacking in the brakes department - some exciting descents. Now in April so should be drier like last year. Still good sections, mainly muddy streams and big banks (but drier in April - maybe...)

Alscott Cup - Tavistock in Devon and another of the best rounds with a very good mix of sections from rock outcrops, streams, big banks, roots, mud. Worth the trip definitely.

Hillsborough - Sheffield - Another of the best and most difficult, again not because it is intimidating, just due to the sections being technical and requiring precision. If you're on it you save energy. Mainly rock streams but one or two bits of muddy banking. If you're not and you're legging with the bike you get tired - as per Bootle.

Peak - North (very) Derbyshire - Not one of my favourites as it all comes down to the last group but others love it - just a personal thing really. Not as hard as Bootle/Hillsborough but hard enough for most I think.

Just going back to the severity of the sections, Twinshocks will cope with the sections no problem with competent riders aboard, the Lancs County round was won by a handy bloke on a 175 Yam last year and Phil Wiffen, twinshock champion, generally beat most of the modern bikes on his 300 Fantic. Unless you're anything other than pretty handy, as far as a pre65 bike goes you need a well fettled one. On a standard bike most will struggle. Obviously modern bikes will have no problem with the sections but the riders have to be 'on it' to beat the better twinshocks and that bugger Thorpey.

I'd say give the series a go as it will be something new and gets you out of the usual routine. If as Dabster says, you are the same standard as Phil then you'll cope no problem.

Phil King - Colchester. This has been a cracking trial in the past but often criticised as being too hard. It was always held in February so copped the worst of the weather. Big banks with big climbs and descents which are hard if wet - and they were. Personally I loved it even though the Ossa was lacking in the brakes department - some exciting descents. Now in April so should be drier like last year. Still good sections, mainly muddy streams and big banks (but drier in April - maybe...)

Yay, my local trial.

Will reccomend this one.

It can be a little tricky in places but fairly easy on a modern bike but quite challenging on a twinshock/pre 65

not too sure if the date has changed for this year, if it rains it will be very good.

hope to see some of you there.

Many thanks for all the responses, it sounds to me as though they are quite varied, I am currently riding a 250 (07) Beta and although I said that I am not into to real severe sections I certainly do like a challenge. When Trials are on the soft side i.e winner on less than 10 at Clubman level I tend to loose a little bit of interest and therefore make stupid mistakes by trying to make things harder than necessary

I think I certainly will be riding a couple, just to get a feel, varity being the spice of life and all that stuff....

Thanks again

Tone

Travelling down to Devon loosing 7 marks (soft5) finishing 6th thats lame. The woe events are marked out for sidecars so I have given up on them. Lost one mark at the doncaster cup so thats just not hard enough. Hillsborough is usually very good though.

What bike were you riding Nigel...modern or other?

Lancs County are moving their round this year, both the date and venue have changed (from last year). You'll have seen that they are running on March 17th (Saturday) with a 11am start time. This is to make it possible for those who have to travel some distance to get there in the morning, and because Bootle is on Sunday, it makes for a very good weekend in the north.

The new venue is Brookhouse Brickworks, actually only about 3 miles as the crow flies from the other venue, but much closer to the motorway, junction 34 M6. It's a venue that has been used for many years, but recently had a huge wind farm erected on the top moors which has changed the nature of the land and thoughtfully opened up new land for the club. Parking, being on hard gravel roads is excellent and access round the trial is generally pretty good. The sections used are rocky streams and muddy bankings, but probably better generally than Barkingate has been. It was last used on Good Friday 2005 and comfortably catered for 164 riders.

If you are thinking seriously about either trial (Lancs County/Bootle) do them both, it should be one of those weekends definitely not to be missed. Two very good trials. Lancs County moved specifically to make it much easier for those that have to travel to give them a good weekend of sport, so support them and make the effort worthwhile. Can't speak for Bootle, but Lancs County will be having regs available in 2/3 weeks, or enter on an ACU form, cost is

Doogle

Ill take your word for it and put them in the diary, As your from Beds, do you ride the Nene Valley and Cambridge trials?

Tone

I haven't ridden them for a while, as I have been riding out of centre a lot for the last couple of years. I might do the Cambridge 50/50 round on the 21/1. I have ridden the Stonebridge every year though for the past 15 years though. It is the best trial in our centre.

Unfortunately due to the terrain, when you enter the Hillsborough Classic, The Peak, The Bemrose, Manx or whatever it makes it very difficult to get yourself motivated to ride the trials in our centre again.

This is no reflection on the effort the organising clubs put into the trial, but just the lack of decent ground we have round here. They make the best of what they have.

I would rather get in the van and drive for 2 or 3 hours to ride a decent trial than drive for an hour to ride where we are.