Photo Resizing

windlestone

Can Andy or anyone give me some advice please. I've took some photos on my sony dc10 but when i download to my pc they are each 2mb should i adjust the camera before i take the pics or can i alter the photos on my pc so i can e mail them or post them on here without it taking 10 minutes.

While i'm asking if i take a photo of a moving bike it comes out blurred if i change to a different shutter speed the pic comes out dark. Any ideas where i'm going wrong?

Can Andy or anyone give me some advice please. I've took some photos on my sony dc10 but when i download to my pc they are each 2mb should i adjust the camera before i take the pics or can i alter the photos on my pc so i can e mail them or post them on here without it taking 10 minutes.

While i'm asking if i take a photo of a moving bike it comes out blurred if i change to a different shutter speed the pic comes out dark. Any ideas where i'm going wrong?

Hi,

Download PainShop from www.jasc.com and play with image re-size and save to Jpeg with compression set to about 10. Always make the camera take the biggest pictures possible, then re-size on yer PC.

Does your DC10 have an ISO setting, if it does then set it to ISO400 or even ISO800. If you change the shutter speed then don't do this is fully manual mode (assuming your camera has that option) better set it to a shutter priority mode.

You can also try using the flash (yes, even in daylight).

On most digicams if you have press the shutter button it will tell you if it's going to under-expose etc.

Ian.

This may only be of interest if you've got Windows XP, but hey ho.

If you right click on your file and select 'send to mail recipient', XP will ask you if you want to make the photo's smaller for sending. You don't have to actually send the e-mail - you can just cut and paste the newly sized photos from the mail message.

I've no doubt that if this functionality is there that there is some other way of getting to it but not seen it on me travels.

Obviously for multiple photo's you can select all the files at the same time and do the same thing.

Something like Adobe photoshop will allow you to control much more precisely what size and format you want the finished article to be though.

Something like Adobe photoshop will allow you to control much more precisely what size and format you want the finished article to be though.

I use MGI Photosuite, to be honest I only ever use it for photo resizing...there way too much stuff on it for me to ever get my head round :huh:

Thanks for replies guys

I went to jasc but i have dial up and it said 2hours 30 mins to download so i've not done that yet. I have adobe and the tutorial tries to access the internet then says it can't find server :huh: The iso settings are interesting my instructions say i have iso 400 so i'll try that then i'll try adjusting flash. if i can resize i'll post some pics so you can see my problems first hand

Hi

You got windows right?

Microsoft Paint!!!!!!

Start/Programs/Accessories/Paint.....

Once file is opened in paint go to toolbars at the top and click Image/Attributes.... then adjust pixel size or physical say 200x300 pixels then save as .***** .jpg

The other alternative of course is to insert the pics into microsoft word on several pages which you can resize them to say half an a4 sheet size each then save the entire document with whatever name you like then zip it and let us download it from the site.

And if you want you can borrow my paintshop pro as long as you promise to uninstall it when you finished :wacko:

If your looking to get Broadband i just got mine from Metronet.co.uk at

Edited by superflytx270

Things to consider!

as the iso numbers go up the quality goes down,

you can't change the shutter speed unless you change the apeture and get the same picture if in manual mode,

if the light is low the camera will use the largest apeture possible for the given focal length and then a shutter speed to get a correct exposure.

My advice is to zoom out and move closer to the subject, set the widest apeture (lowest number) and then a shutter speed to give a correct exposure, if it's too dark then notch up the iso.

Use the flash if you are close enough, probably 3 - 4 meters.

Try and get photoshop if you can, even an old copy, this will give you huge scope for improving your images after you have downloaded them, and also resize them.

Good advice bingo - if only I understood it all :huh:

Ian - Personally I wouldn't say to take at the highest resolution possible. There's no point unless you actually need hi-res photos. If you don't then all you're doing is eating your memory card(s) for no real reason.

And now for my tip - fire across to http://www.axiomx.com/picsizer.htm and download it. I don't use it nowadays as I have other tools, but it's free and makes the whole thing a walk in the park.

i use irfanview (irfanview.com about 850kb) - its really easy to use for resizing and is great (and down loadable on dial up!!!

long term i should learn potato shop or paint shop pro, etc, etc

rabie :huh:

If in ten years time you look back at a photo and the quality is ****, you will wish you had shot it at as high res as possible, who knows who will be the next big thing.

You are so limited with digital, so get what you can from it!

Hi all,

Must admit, I use Paintshop a lot, but have recently been using Photoshop......you can do some awesome things! This example looks neat printed out photo quality and framed.

amos_bilbaoBW.jpg

Ian.

Edited by IanJ

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
:D Hey Ian, JWhitfield from so. Cal. I've got Photoshop LE but I'm still learning all the bells and whistles. I'd love to know how you created those B&W and Color combo shots. I'm always looking for a new twist to offer my customers. Thanks in advance..... Edited by JwSoCal