Bitch Session!

copemech

As to the build quality ... I've been riding/driving motor vehicles for over 30 years , and working on them

for a living just as long . and although I don't have much wrench time on the newest trials bikes , my own

83 fantic is one of the highest quality overall mass produced peice of machinery I have ever worked on !

And new cars w/ designed in failability are just job security to me ... But I hope that as w/most modes of transport if you maintain them correctly , they will take care of you !

Alas I hold my breath to buy a NEW trials bike until the big Fantic is available ... w/the hope that the same

princaples that produced my 240 , are still alive in the fantic factory !!!!

I also have the origanal bill of sale for my 240 , and I might be able to get more for mine than what it sold

for new !!!(lets not get into a rant about inflation now)..

Just my Humble Opinon ...

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn:

I agree with your rant on build quality on my Fantic's too. It just astounds me that such a company with clearly a great product, went bankrupt not once, but twice. I just got another Fantic in the stable this past weekend, a 96 Section which belongs to my Dad. I never owned one of these in the day, but after seeing it and looking at the unbeleivable amount of cutting edge ideas that went into play with this bike, it's unbelievable that they are not still in business. Things like adjustable footpegs positions and adjustable flywheel weights, and power valves. If these things were implemented in todays bikes, not only would they be successful, but still cutting edge! I am even contemplating getting another modern Fantic as a project bike and making it competitive for todays riding.

Steve

I have noticed reading these forums that it makes things sound much worse than they are. For example I have had three Betas and not one has had the stator go out, yet if I read the Beta forum it seems like a big problem and only one of the bikes leaked enough fuel that I thought it was anything but normal so I did the fix I learned about on here :D . 4rt's plug fouling? there is a bunch of 4rts here in SoCal and I never heard of anybody fouling a plug. If I never read these forums I wouldn't ever have thought that a 4rt idles high either, when I first rode one I just thought they where geared a little high. On my '06 Sherco that I had the fender fit just fine, so I don't know what is up with that :rotfl: . My point is I think reading the forums make things sound worse than they are. Go read KTM talk and its the same thing, it makes it sound like the bikes have a bunch of problems that I have never seen in my KTM's. :rotfl:

I've owned two Fantics over the years (240,309). Bullet proof engine and transmission!

The few things I didn't like were, the lack of needle bearings on the swingarm pivot (bushings),

the weak kick start lever (pinch bolt, splines and pivot pin) and aluminum axles, swingarm pivot bolt on the 309.

The 1984 TY250. The engine case would crack at the swingarm pivot from hitting the skid plate. This was changed later with the extra boss in the casting and mount.

On my Scorpa..........swing arm pivot nut fell off (owners fault for not checking all bolts for tightness)and the coolant hose vulnerability to damage.

Other than that I've had very few problems with my bikes.

Edited by Dabnabit

Dab ; the main point in my bare framed rebuild was to replace the swingarm shaft and install 4 sets of caged

needle brgs. w/zerk fittings into the swingarm ... Fantastic improvement in rear suspension action , and as

you say , the only!!! weak design I've found on my 240 at it's 24 years or so of use ... And I did beef up the

frame just a bit near the steering head ...

Glenn

And when I find time I will take off the montesa 349 footpegs that I customized to fit the stock mounts , and weld on some late model peg brackets and mount some stouter pegs .