Bash Plate

stuessenhigh

Hi all,

My nuts keep coming loose at the rear of the bash-plate...(near the footpegs). I've even tried using thread lock..but no diffference.

Does anyone else get that problem??

ANy ideas to solve it?? Its a Rev 3 2002 model :huh:

Edited by StuEssenhigh

Stu, i should have been more clear (was p****d when adding the comment!). They are nylon nuts that are only used once then thrown away. See here:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/search...=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

Dunno if you can link to the above, if not go to screwfix.com and search for nylon nuts. If it's the same bolts (countersunk?) as the techno, i think it should be an M8.

You could also try using two nuts, (dunno if you would have enough room or a long enough bolt) one acting as a locking nut!

the bolts dont go all the way through the frame so nylon nuts or any nuts cant be used. and aren't countersunk but think are m8

nylon nuts are like ordinary nuts but have a strip of nylon in which locks on to the bolt

Edited by J@mes

YEah...unfortunately anyhill, the Rev3 ones are NOT countersunk (BIG mistake I reckon)..techno way was better.

I think that is why I'm having the problem, 'cause I keep catching the head of the nut on the corner of rocks..('cause I'm not very good at big steps!!)

ALso..James is right, the nut doesn't go all the way through the frame.

SO....if there are any more ideas...please keep 'em coming :wacko:

Stu - first of all, I can't believe no one's made any cracks about your 'loose nuts' - I couldn't resist, even as obvious as it is...

Why are you shying away from just retapping the holes to the next larger size bolt? That way you can tap the holes to fit whatever style bolt you want. You might even try countersinking the bash plate to receive a countersunk head screw / bolt so your rock encounters won't have as much of an adverse affect.

You can buy the tap and get a piece of aluminum to practice on... drill a slightly smaller hole and run the tap through to get the feel of it.

i think they would be better countersunk. doubt this would work but what about a spring washer between the head of the bolt and the bashplate. I recently took my bashplate off on my 02 beta and the bolts didn't seem that tight. I had to file a bit of the head of one of the bolts because it had been hit but where i live there aint many stone steps just mud. I will have to keep checking those bolts now i've taken them out once.

Yeah James....you should definately keep an eye on them..else they'll pop out without you knowing it.

Clarkp...yep you're right...and retapping the holes is something I HAVE to learn..especially with this Beta which seems to have a few threads that feel like they're made of butter.....SO...watch this space....I'll try and get the correct tools and get practising.

CHeers all for you help :wacko: