Scooter Or Classic Enduro

frenchie

During the spring and summer months here in sunny South West France, I need to commute around fifteen miles on a regular daily basis. Now have been looking adding another Majesty to the stable, the scooter not the trials iron or perhaps to wake the neighbours up in the morning, a Classic Enduro ie. PE or IT .

Having trawled the internet, it would seem they are not too readily avaliable. So my question... do they ever come up for sale ( In the uk ) if so what you d you expect to pay for one, I would prefer a 250 or above, in ready to ride condition.

Classic enduros seem to be heading the same way as twinshock trials here in France so might even have a pop at one or two of these also.

I know from reading the posts on Trials central several contributors, do have classic enduros so any advice would be greatly welcome.

Thanks very much

Thanks for the reply, I wasn t really clear its a round trip of around 12 miles so a little less , but I understand what your saying. I will wait and see if anything shows up and takes my fancy, but again with twin shock trials bikes the prices are firming up and anything good and or restored is well sort after.

Thanks again

Frenchie

I didn't mean to put you off riding on the road with an old enduro! id say 3-5 miles and youll soon be cheesed off with it! the main reasons are, Wild porting! (no power valve to smooth things out!) drum brakes! lights! (what lights!) noisey!!! intake/exhaust!!!! oh yeah always having to watch the front wheel from leaving the ground! (and this is on a 175cc bike!) but great fun plus who else has got one of these in there garage/ town/ city :D

best advise i could give you is pour over loads of pic's of the m/c say on the internet/ old bike mags of completely standard/ re new bikes sold at the time so to get an idea of what they looked like back in the day! (this is important) check carefully if buying on ebay and try to get close up pics of the bike/engine make sure the rear frame loop is present as these sometimes get sawn off! :hyper:

check that its got the correct swingarm, wheels/ forks/ tank etc, etc, etc!!! std exhaust tailpipes are almost impossible to get hold off! just as with old trials bikes everything that can be swapped or up graded will be!

again good luck weve your search and let me know when you get something? Nick.

Hello Frenchie,

I commute 14 miles each way on a Honda XR400R. It is the basic version with no indicators, no battery etc. I use Bridgestone trail wing tyres and have upped the gearing slightly to make it a bit more road friendly. Using hand signals is a bit dangerous these days, as motorists are not used to arms waving. I try to avoid riding in the dark for the same reason.

I know the XR is more user friendly than a PE or IT (I did use a 1981 KDX175 and a viscious Moto Gori 250 on the road) but riding your distance would be no problem. I even used to commute about 8 miles each way a few years ago on a Bultaco Sherpa 350.

• 1 year later...