End Of Practicing At Addingham?

jimw

Totally agree with Andy and Crosser - excellent idea :banana2:

Maybe a stage further is to suggest paying a little more for the use of the farmers land, into a "Tree Fund".

Everytime it is used the fund is boosted and more trees get planted.

Guess the main issue which the farmer may be able to help with or have ideas on, is WHERE to plant the said trees. :blink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A screen of trees will take some time to get established, what may be needed is a temporary timber or other material screen to either absorb or deflect sound, for example bales of hay could be used in strategic locations.

Are there any trials rider / Acousticians out there willing to provide any free advise?

The complainant is a Councilor who has moved into the area very recently I believe. Funnily enough when an inquiry was made to the council they claimed to know nothing about it??

If this is the case, you could plant all the trees you want, it wouldn't make a difference, Nimby's just don't want motorcycles anywhere near the countryside, legal or not.

tmouse, did you vote to get hunting banned ? if so, you probably helped the greenies to get one undesirable user group out of the countryside, so now they can go after the next, Motorcyclists!!

I would think the hunters probably had good resources and influential people to aid in their defense, they failed, I wonder if the off road rider will be able to put up a better fight and win ?

And that's not the end of thing's,more and more farmer's are going out of business every year, and that's when the city people come in and buy the farmhouse's and land and leave everything standing idle.you got no chance of getting your bike on that land agian.

It's about time people in this country started fighting back again,instead of having the "im allright jack" outlook on thing's. :banana2:

assuming the land isn't an SSSI or national park then you need planning permission for more than 28 days of trials a year (14 if your local planning authority interprits trials as motorcylce racing)

the DEFRA issue would be if the farmer had submitted the land you do trials on for SPS supbsidy - now the argument going aorund was that you wouldn't really submit a pile of rocks for subsidy as they are ineligable in the first place, but some confusion arises over the grass you ride over to get there, etc

A screen of trees will take some time to get established, what may be needed is a temporary timber or other material screen to either absorb or deflect sound, for example bales of hay could be used in strategic locations.

Are there any trials rider / Acousticians out there willing to provide any free advise?

in MX various devices have been tried. there is a huge fire risk from straw bale walls :banana2: but they work. IMHO for trials the noise is a lot diffrent (we use straw blae walls in MX to shield the start line - ie 40 odd 450cc 4T mx bikes on full chat). i have to say most people can't hear normal trials bikes so noise isn't an issue

This is bad news.

My son and I have taken up trials from the end of last year and prior to this I looked into possible venues and went to Addingham a couple of times and spoke to riders about it.

Confident we had somewhere to go we got kitted up and have been there most weekends since. It is an excellent area with something to satisfy us beginners through to the experts who we can watch and admire.

We have joined the Yeadon & Guiseley Club and will take part in their beginners events (first one last week - that's a different story) but for a long time to come we will mostly need to practice and Addingham was our venue.

The farmer seems a nice guy in that old yorkshire farmer way, and even towed me out of the mud when my car got stuck in the parking area.

Does anyone know if this ban is already in force or can we continue to practice until we are notified somehow (I suppose a sign will be put up or the gate locked?).

Can anyone recommend other venues in the area that we can use instead?

Is there anything we can do to help/change the situation. eg. Writing to council/mp etc.

jon if you look on bradfords web site there is a site called rough holden you can practise

there and its only about 2 miles from silsden between there and bingley. or theres home

farm at tong which is owned by parkwood 4 x 4 if you ring and speak to either david or

becky you should get sometime there.

jsp

Does anyone know if this ban is already in force or can we continue to practice until we are notified somehow (I suppose a sign will be put up or the gate locked?).

Can anyone recommend other venues in the area that we can use instead?

Is there anything we can do to help/change the situation. eg. Writing to council/mp etc.

When I saw him on Monday he told me that at the moment he wasn't allowed to let anyone practice. He hasn't put a lock on the gate or a sign up but wondered if his court visit might result in him having to. He said that local campaigners (for closure) were driving by taking notes and photos and checking if any bikes were using the land. I suppose there might be something more definite once he has been to court but for now it seems we shouldn't practice. The purpose of the post was to see if anyone had any more info or suggestions about how we might help because I'm not sure where to start. There's certainly been plenty of debate. I think I'll ask someone who knows him if there is anything we can do to help and I'll post again if I get anywhere.

I've been asked by the President of Yeadon Guiseley to state that the club will continue to run Trials at Addingham Moorside despite the uncertain outlook for practising.

I have also, thanks to contributors on Silsden.net, the page for Silsden councillors from the Bradford council website. It includes the email addresses for the councillors. If you do wish to voice your views the area is known as "The Nab" to the locals.

Silsden Councillors

Edited by Telecat

I've been asked by the President of Yeadon Guiseley to state that the club will continue to run Trials at Addingham Moorside despite the uncertain outlook for practising.

I have also, thanks to contributors on Silsden.net, the page for Silsden councillors from the Bradford council website. It includes the email addresses for the councillors. If you do wish to voice your views the area is known as "The Nab" to the locals.

Silsden Councillors

I wouldn't be naive enough to think that club trials and even nationals will remain safe, the loss of practising at Addingham will only be the tip of the ice berg. Once those people see how successful they've been in stopping legitimate practisng then they will look at stopping events. Also what about the people who don't compete in trials but still like to get out and ride.

http://www.bradford.gov.uk/asp/councillors/annrep.asp?id=302

Heres the 'best' placed local councillor, lives less than half a mile from the gate on to the moor and the access road runs right by his house,

as you can see he's also on the Area planning board, and keeps up todate with the local parish council ( a council which when i lived there had so few candidates to be councillers there wer'nt elections you just turned up and got the job.. no its true)

mr. naylor also has interests in providing facilities for the young ( that will be trials then) and the old (that will be trials then) he also has had no training what so ever never never to fulfill his role according to the 'blurb'

a good way to maintain his right to peace and quiet would be not to approach Addingham moorside from the centre of silsden but to take the road toward addingham and fork right just as you leave silsden village this will get you to the land and avoid the narrow steep lane past the golf club and mr. N's home.

Edited by totalshell

:D Hi just to let everyone know that addingham moorside is still open , i was up there this afternoon and i also had a chat with farmer who told me that the complaint was made by someone living lower than moor my guess is caravan site he also told me that he as a local counciller on his side and that moor will be open on wednesdays and weekends! THERE AS BEEN A LOT SAID ON THIS SUBJECT THAT IS TOTAL RUBBISH!

:D Hi just to let everyone know that addingham moorside is still open , i was up there this afternoon and i also had a chat with farmer who told me that the complaint was made by someone living lower than moor my guess is caravan site he also told me that he as a local counciller on his side and that moor will be open on wednesdays and weekends! THERE AS BEEN A LOT SAID ON THIS SUBJECT THAT IS TOTAL RUBBISH!

That's good news - before I originally posted he told me he was trying for Wednesdays and weekends but then had received a summons and had been told that no one could practice and that the 14 day rule had been applied - presumably he has now resolved these issues. I'm not sure what has been said has been total rubbish - the problem appears to be that there has been a lot of uncertainty - I could only pass on what the farmer told me just as you have done.