Dabill And Sagar

nigel dabster

Why were these 2 not riding in portugal, sagar should be doing this instead of trying to win the Novagar (again) surely.

What happened to dabils great chance with the Italian team he could have a go at the junior or is that the one where he has to ride a 125? Thought that was the european rounds???

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may well be a matter of finance. Nobody in the Sagar family is made of money and it seems that no matter what Tom does the sponsorship remains half hearted (from an outsiders point of view - I don't want JL to think this is in any way the Sagar's view).

If I were Tom, I'd probably be concentrating more on the enduro (much as I hate to say it), where at least some people seem to show some interest in sponsorship (already).

Everyone knows Tom's good, he could be world class, but he's having to pay through the nose to do it.

Portugal's a bugger to get to with a bike and would no doubt take up a fair bit of the annual budget.

I don't really know what other riders get, but I reckon Tom could perform on any bike - surely he's worth a bit of investment from someone.

Any views?

HI, the sagar family are the backbone of british trials!.as for tom,you never here him moaning just enjoying himself and doing well in the way the sport should be enjoyed.i would just like to add one major point about sponsorship and the sagars,dabills finances,why are the A.C.U not paying or assisting them to go to the world/european rounds????????.get your self on a road racing machine if you want some money out of the A.C.U.as for the importers putting there money where their mouths are,just have a word with john lampkin,john shirt jnr,the rathmells,crosswaites,etc.the money and commitment they put in to support various riders it deserves more than a mention,once again this brings me round to one sentance,"the backbone of british trials!".

So hes got an enduro bike and entry fees are? The bike costs? One enduro costs about the same as a trip to portugal, I guess.

I believe the enduro bike could be free at the moment. That's what I was getting at. I'm pretty sure his trials bike is nowhere near free.

When you add up the price of a trip to Portugal including Ferry/fuel/accommodation/entry/time off work you may be surprised.

I'm not sure that the ACU would be wise to put much money the way of sagar if he is doing enduros as well as for the age of dabil and sagar compared to bou and Fajardo I'm not sure if the amount of money spent by the acu shouldn't be targettited at the younger end to get these boys ( not specifically sagar and dabil) up to a better standard earlier.

I know that the costs to get to portugal are not small (obvious) but surely it must be weighed up with someones seriousness espepcially as he scored some good points in Ireland (ferries time off work etc).

I suppose what I am thinking is that doing the Novogar is nowt special really, and Japan is too far as is the USA so if either can ride at this level give it a shot, I wish I could have........... I hope neither of the British youngsters not just these two say that later in life.

You'd don't want to get to 40 plus and be thinking what might have been..... B)

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment

Would you capture it or just let it slip?

Yo, His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy

There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti

He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready

To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgetting

What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud

He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out

He's chokin, how everybody's chokin now

The clock's run out, time's up over, bloah!

Snap back to reality, Oh there goes gravity

Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked

He's so mad, but he won't give up that easy

No, he won't have it , he knows his whole back city's ropes

It don't matter, he's dope

He knows that, but he's broke

He's so stacked that he knows

When he goes back to his mobile home, that's when it's

Back to the lab again yo

This whole rap city

He better go capture this moment and hope it don't pass him

[Chorus:]

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment

You own it, you better never let it go

You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow

This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo,

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment

You own it, you better never let it go

You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow

This opportunity comes once in a lifetime you better,

His soul's escaping, through this hole that it's gaping

This world is mine for the taking

Make me king, as we move toward a, new world order

A normal life is borin, but superstardom's close to post mortom

It only grows harder, only grows hotter

He blows us all over these hoes is all on him

Coast to coast shows, he's know as the globetrotter

Lonely roads, God only knows

He's grown farther from home, he's no father

He goes home and barely knows his own daughter

But hold your nose cause here goes the cold water

These ho's don't want him no mo, he's cold product

They moved on to the next schmoe who flows

He nose dove and sold nada

So the soap opera is told and unfolds

I suppose it

B)  I'm suprised Subiria, and a man of your age too!! ;)

Less of the cheak young'un :D

He'd played Reading Rock a couple of years ago, the local council had to approve the use of his chainsaw on stage - made me laugh at the time.

I think I've mentioned it before, but going to Portugal would still be cheaper than a weekend racing MRO/Bemse on 600 Supersport. Very few guys have decent sponsors - most of its self funded - yet they're paying

B) Get real Dabster - I know you're playing devils advocate you b*gger ;)

It's 1300 miles from Calais even to the North of Portugal.

My managers come out with wonderful ideas that we have to put in to action. It's easy to plan summat when its just pie in the sky.

When you actually look at the details it's very rarely quite so cheap.

Ferry to Bilbao or Santander might be more realistic but not cheap.

The beer trip to Calais isn't real prices. If you can cover the 13-1500 miles on the Sunday to get your weekend return then you're in.

For some people money is no object, and the odd

sagar should be doing this instead of trying to win the Novagar (again) surely.

OK then i think Tom is doing this to get more sponsership, I look at it like this Tom Sagar was british A champion Beat Dabill, Tom won the Novogar last Year, And look whos got the Top trial Team deal???

What does the lad have to do?

Edited by gasserboy

Traveling is by far the biggest cost. There's Diesel, ferrys, peage (toll's), plus the actual time it takes.

For a Sunday Trial in Portugal you need to leave on Wednesday really and you won't be back for work until Tuesday / Wednesday the following week. Remember that's not just the rider but the Minder aswell.

The bikes are probably bought at dealer cost and then sold for around the same secondhand. Spares will be mostly supplied by the importer or sponsors, as will clothing and oils. But I doubt if Tyres are free and at that level you need a new one for almost every Trial.

So where does the money come from? If you're lucky the parents. If not then you probably don't make it!

I remember when Doug staret on the world scene, I think Martin & Isabell sold the family business (newsagents?) to help finance the first years.

When I was Minding for Crosswaite he had very good sponsorship from Gas Gas plus a Tyre deal with Michelin but still needed the majority of support from his Family.

After Martin scored his first World championship points (14th at Hawkstone park) Neil said it had cost him