Trials Sidecars

samandkimberly

I'm looking for information on trials sidecars. I'm primarily interested in later twin shock outfit designs but it doesn't seem they've changed much over the years, so I'm also interested in finding out more about the modern ones.

Specifically, I'm looking for dimensions, geometry and the such for building my own. I wouldn't mind buying one, but the chances of finding one near me (Eastern US) are slim, and my goal is to make several so that I have some competition after I make my own. I'll most likely be putting this on a Montesa 348 and using it in USCRA vintage competitions. But I'd like to make something as modern as possible that still fits the rules. USCRA has essentially no rules on sidecars, so I'm using the ACTC aproved sidecar specification as my primary rules reference.

So -anyone have any pointers on how to build/set up a trials sidecar?

Thanks,

Sam Stoney

Boston, MA

Track down Chuck West of TMI, he and Art built many of the US ones here.

Last I heard he was still in the Cookville, Crossville, TN area.

Also, Bill Catogni of Florida built at least one, and I am pretty sure several over the years. It would not suprise me if he still had some about. He is in the Orlando area. I had one that he built a while back. (early 80's)

I am sorry, but I just have to ask,

WHY?

Alan askes:

WHY?

Brian R is on the right track for part of the reason. As well as wanting to participate in vintage trials, I need a tractor to move stuff back &forth between my house and my garden.

But the main reason is unanswerable, just as is WHY on earth we ride trials, or roadrace, or dirtbike, or whatever. Sidecars are not only fun and particularly challenging, they're also one of the only ways to share competition with someone as a team.

I was very involved in the re-emergence of vintage sidecar road racing here in the US - in New England the class has gone from three bikes total in the mid 1990s to a regular turnout of 12 or so with as many as 18 showing up for a significant event. They're slower than the bikes. They break down more. They also are the hands down spectator favorites and a hell of a lot of fun to either drive of monkey on.

I'm sure it will be a total waste of time and money. I look forward to it.

Sam