Rusty Racks

beta bodger

Ok so I know I have posted about this before as I have had problems with my rack rusting. Well today I contacted them. I explained that the rack is only 4 months old and has rust all over it. It frankly look really bad on the back of my car. The rack was purchased from Autowbars and they were great in the delivery and purchase.

The racks are advertised "built to last" zinc plated. However, when I rang them this morning they told me they always rust and the zinc plating doesn't help! But what really pushes my button is their recommendation is to spray it with WD40 every week! What a con!

Just goes to show dont take everything a manufacturer says as gospel. I now have to think about painting it up. Any recommendations? I was thinking Hammerite special primer and then Hammerite smoothrite?

Ok so I know I have posted about this before as I have had problems with my rack rusting. Well today I contacted them. I explained that the rack is only 4 months old and has rust all over it. It frankly look really bad on the back of my car. The rack was purchased from Autowbars and they were great in the delivery and purchase.

The racks are advertised "built to last" zinc plated. However, when I rang them this morning they told me they always rust and the zinc plating doesn't help! But what really pushes my button is their recommendation is to spray it with WD40 every week! What a con!

Just goes to show dont take everything a manufacturer says as gospel. I now have to think about painting it up. Any recommendations? I was thinking Hammerite special primer and then Hammerite smoothrite?

Hi Beta Bodger, I have a rack that I bought about 20 Years ago from Julian Wigg when he had a shop and over the years it got a bit sorry for it self, I have painted and sprayed it over the years but it was always a bodge. The lads at work refused to let me put it on my new car so I had it bead blasted and powder coated and it stays on the back of the car and I should have done it years ago.

Thanks thats reassuring, I will see what a company will charge to get the whole lot done. I just cant believe that attitude of a company that promises built to last and gives an anti corrosion warranty but says they do rust and to spray it with WD40! Oh well i know better next time.

Edited by Beta Bodger