Ty Mono (pinky) Seat Unit

montesaman

Hello TYers.

I've just picked up a pretty neat pinky and I have a few of questions I was hoping somebody may be able to help me with?

1) What is the recommended way of sticking the seat flush to the plastic seat piece? I guess the obvious choice may be super glue but I'm a bit weary and don't want to damage the plastic, and also avoid messy excess glue?

2) Is it still easy to get pink mudguards and transfers?

3) I've been playing around with the rear shock settings a bit, trying to make as soft and lively as possible, like a more modern bike, hopefully making it easier to jump the back end around a bit. Have had a fair bit of success altering simply the compression and rebound to softer settings (I weigh 11st) but I wondered what difference the spring preload would make? would an increase of preload with soft settings make the rebound quicker and hence more lively? or is it the other way round?

Many thanks

Hey MontesaMan

I will try and answer your questions the best I can:

1) Any glue or silicone should do but I have never tired.

2) Very easy from JKHirst. They give a great service so just ring up and ask.

3) I can give you a very good setting that I use (also 11st) but I am away from home at the moment so I cant give you the specific setup.

Hope this helps

Scott

Cheers Scott, look forward to hearing the special settings for the suspension.

I'm also wondering whether to go 270 and maybe take it up to Birks to work some magic on the porting etc.., maybe shave the flywheel too. Has anyone done this kind of mod? Good idea/bad idea? Also any idea how much it may cost?

Thanks

Hey MontesaMan

I will try and answer your questions the best I can:

1) Any glue or silicone should do but I have never tired.

2) Very easy from JKHirst. They give a great service so just ring up and ask.

3) I can give you a very good setting that I use (also 11st) but I am away from home at the moment so I cant give you the specific setup.

Hope this helps

Scott

Hey

Avoid the 270 conversion as it often makes the bike ride like a dog. I have never tried it but most people I know who have converted to a 270 regret having it done.

Best thing you can do to a TY mono is take it to Birketts. Get him to port it and shorten the inlet manifold and the bike becomes a dream to ride. Makes the engine smoother and gives it more torque. I am unsure about cost as I had the engine done many moons ago.

Hope this Helps

Cheers

Scott