Sherco

rev`er

Hi guys,

i have been given the ultimate incentive for my exams, if i pass them all my dad buys me a brand new 2005 bike of my choice and a trailer to go with it, im looking into a Sherco, but my fear is that the old man goes all out, buys me the bike and the main bearings go!!!

if i bought the bike brand new and asked the company to fit new bearings in it before the bike is even trialed

how much do you reckon it would cost???

Is there anything else i would need to watch out for on them???

Cheers Guys

Chris

Guest ercoman

i bought a 2000 model before the 04 and the main bearing went i dont think its a common problem though so will the bike you get be a 4 stroke? :D

REV'er If you do get a new sherco when you have run the bike in and you change the oil, check that there is no water in oil as I have had two new 290's and the water pump seals went on both my 2003 bike and needed new main bearings and on my 04 after the first oil change the water pump needed replacing and now it needs another new one.

So if this happens make sure your dealer does it under warranty.

Also keep an eye on your sprocket and front disc bolts as know people who have had them come out.

So you'd better get some revision done.

G.RASP

Edited by G.Rasp

i bought a 2000 model before the 04 and the main bearing went i dont think its a common problem though so will the bike you get be a 4 stroke? :D

If there are no 4t Shercos in the SSDT I doubt if there will be a production version in 2005.

Thanks Guys

i think that it could just be a problem that only a few experience!!

So far i know that Montesa have gone to 4t for 2005 and so have Scorpa, i spoke to Lampkin and he said that Beta are going for a 2005 4t but will produce the 2t aswell as the 4t, not sure about Sherco or Gas Gas,

Some probs. from the SSDT that have being coming towards me - 3 Shercos` broke down yesterday, 2 Gas Gas basically fell apart and about 5 or 6 Beta have Stator Plate problems, not to Good

Cheers

REV`er

I have a 2000 Gas Gas 200 with probable main bearing damage. Noisy. Radial clearance is not measureable but left and right, axial, dials .012 to .016 inches. Appears the crank is moving in the bearings, or the bearings moving in the cases.

I have heard issues with oil drains, seals installs, etc, but that normally increases the radial clearance also, not?

Will split it soon, but any ideas or prevention of it happening again will be appreciated.

k

lhe 200 is known to rattle apparently. Thats one of the reasons I never bothered looking into the cases on this one. Started sounding loose about 2 years ago. 14 yr old daughter rides, so not ridden hard. Several knowledgeable people listened to it, don't worry its a 200 they all do that.

Sounded like piston slap a bit, went away when warmed up. so I ignored it. got worse, so last season I pulled top. Only .0005 over the specs, but figuring I have limited experience with the new stuff, I put in a piston set. No change. Rode another half season, then really noticeable over the winter here. Did cold temp startups (0 F?) have an effect, or was it just coindidence?

so anyway, in prepping for this season, I noticed it sounded different when tilted over to one side. pulled off the covers and voila!

Otherwise its a great bike. Granted its 4 years old, and time moves ahead, but if you can get one cheaply I'd do it. Very smooth engine and easy to handle Novice Intermediate stuff, especially tight corners and clutching. Power is only an issue for me on big hills, as I can't do any big steps anyway. I much prefer it over riding my sons's 270. 270 has more snap and power, and the 200 doesn't get the lower riders in trouble.

k

Right brand new Sherco for this SSDT (2004) after the first 2 sections the main bearings went. This i think is poor build quality and them not taking time to look at the problem and fix it with all there bikes.

Gavin

Wonderboy I think you are spot on they do not seem to be as good as last years bikes. But the rider of that bike may not have serviced it good enough for the mains to go after two sections after all your bike should be in perfect order to try the SSDT.

G.RASP

Edited by G.Rasp

Right brand new Sherco for this SSDT (2004) after the first 2 sections the main bearings went. This i think is poor build quality and them not taking time to look at the problem and fix it with all there bikes.

Gavin

If thats the reason why don't they all fail or at least one in five?