Fim 4t Mandate For '08?

Rumor has it that the FIM will make 4 strokes mandatory in the 2008 World Rounds, can anyone confirm this?

If it's true, will we see 4t 125's from Sherco, GasGas & Beta any time soon? It's 6 months away and there's no talk about this, what gives?

Curious in California

:D

It is purely that - rumour which has no basis. One thing I've learned in my time involved with the sport is that Trials folk love a good rumour - and if they don't know the facts about something they just make some up! It was recently rumoured, for example, that I'd sold Trials Central to TMX... go figure. :thumbup:

Rumor has it that the FIM will make 4 strokes mandatory in the 2008 World Rounds, can anyone confirm this?

Like they did in 04, 05, 06, skipped 07 cos no bugger was listening :D

Forget the FIM. They will not make the decision. It will be the EU that makes the changes.

The EU Euro 3 emmision laws start in Jan 2008. 7 months from now. Will any of the current 2 strokes meet the Euro 3 laws? These are the toughest emmision laws anywhere in the world.

In America your EPA laws start 2008 for off-road bikes.

Who is ready?

Edited by for artie

It is possible to achieve the Euro 3 emission laws with a 2 stroke engine if Aprilia are to be believed. Aprilia done it back in 2003 with their Di-Tech direct fuel injection system Linky. some more Techy info Here

CO Emissions Di-Tech 2 stroke -85%(Excellent) 4 Stroke -40% (poor)

The other thing is I am pretty sure a 4T engine needs a catalytic converter to ensure it meets emission legislation. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think any 4T has one fitted as yet and if and when they do fit them, expect them to be expensive.

Although I like 4 Stroke engines, I think the governing body were hasty to push 4 Strokes so soon when it was almost certain that a 2 stroke will be able to meet the necessary requirements (with some development) and they are without doubt a better engine to use for trials. Not because of performance characteristics, but because they are lighter and easier to maintain and this is seen as important to the majority of trials riders out there.

IMHO :D

Although I like 4 Stroke engines, I think the governing body were hasty to push 4 Strokes so soon when it was almost certain that a 2 stroke will be able to meet the necessary requirements (with some development) and they ar without doubt a better engine to use for trials.

will they get developed? for 08 yamaha moto x & enduro four stokes further developed , two stokes unchanged !

Edited by Slapshot 3
fixed quote box

If all the 4 strokes are as noisy as the Montesa 4rt then we can kiss trials goodbye!!!! Land will disappear a lot quicker. I know of certain areas that have banned Montesa 4 strokes due to complaints.... It is not just that simple, as the newer style of riding 'rev and splat' sounds like tree felling (e.g .chainsaw..... then crash!) .... great anyone for cyclotrials?

If all the 4 strokes are as noisy as the Montesa 4rt then we can kiss trials goodbye!!!! Land will disappear a lot quicker. I know of certain areas that have banned Montesa 4 strokes due to complaints.... It is not just that simple, as the newer style of riding 'rev and splat' sounds like tree felling (e.g .chainsaw..... then crash!) .... great anyone for cyclotrials?

just buy a titanium rear silencer and they are as quiet as anything (4rt) everythingother 4t is 'silent'

Oh right if thats correct then its a good option....

BUT why don't Montesa fit em as standard then?... cost down? ha ha ha.

Seriously if it makes that much difference then the manufacturer should show some responsibility.... unless they come restricted and silent, but then the bike would not be fit for the purpose its sold for would it?

as standard they pass the acu test at a relatively low rpm.

the trouble is even with the restictors in they are loud when revved and because of the sound frequency the noise travels a lot further

reduced emmissions but as Rosey sais whats the point if you lose the land due to the noise ??

try again I think