Hot Tl

brian r

The TL seems to be getting too hot. What do you all think?

Timing too far retarded? Mix too lean?

BTW, it's old and wore out.

It gets so hot that it pings and touching the points cover will burn you.

How old and worn out?

If piston clearances are too great, the pistons don't cool properly. This leads to hot piston top and preignition/detonation,. More important in two strokes. Doesn't usually mean hotter running oil in the sump though.

If there is excessive blowby, minimal compression, it will run hot, but seizure is not far behind then.

My bet is restricted exhaust, lean mixture, or timing off. either R or Adv will do it.

Do you have enough oil in the crankcase? Mud in the fins, dragging brakes, the obvious stuff?

k

Brian R,

Check the top end for oil, some of the early TL's had faulty oil pumps. The little gears in the pump would crack and the pump would fail. Oil would not get to the top end and eventually it would sieze. The first symptom would be over heating. Ive seen two bikes that this happened to. Granted, this was when they first came out whith the bikes and it is unlikely that yours could suffer from this problem. but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Good luck!! :D

Edited by sherpa

If it sat for a while it might have lots of rust in the insides. The only benefit to two stoke mung slime is that it keeps the inners from rusting.

4 strokes often get rust in when sotred a long time.