Misc. Youth National

brian r

We'll we made it through another one.

These kids are amazing. Good isn't good enough!

Got to see friends from far away lands and meet new ones.

We need SIRHC to post a picture of his Montesa, (beautiful bike Chris).

The kids riding the 1 line where quite an emotional bunch this year.

They are all so compeditive (Mich lins word) and can be very hard

on themselves.

The Mizell kids are not just great riders but great kids too. Jacob had a birthday on

Sunday and as he was on the podium the entire crowd sang happy birthday to him, pretty cool.

I got to see David doing a nice long wheelie with a BIG surprise at the end, seems he didn't find

his rear brake pedal in time, ouch. Josiah won the open line again taking home another Eagle.

Zeke came in second on the C line. Caleb was 5th on the open line and David won Youth Advanced

riding the 1 line.

I think the sections were harder this year then in the past but the loop was nice and easy and very

spectator friendly. You could walk to a place and check out 4 or 5 sections, it may have not helped

with longer ques but it was super for pedestrians. Since I was paying close attention to the 1 line I

think it was on par with a STRA Advanced line for the most part. I think we have several kids that

will be competing in the World Rounds in the future.

Chime in and tell us what you thought about the Youth Nationals and Womens Open this year.

Edited by Brian R

It was great line 1 seemed perfect great event great week, great indoor, good meeting new and old friends. still tying to figure how third place 3 days in a row with the third lowest points equals 4th but it clearly does. Glad to see turn out was good with several new faces.

Edited by hensley

Homer really rides well. In a year or so he's going to get some size to him and be

amazing. He loves to ride and I think that's going to be the key. Even little sister

did a great job.

got in at 3 am. Bo rode very consistant sunday all loop scores about the same homer missed a gate on a section he cleaned 3 times earlier or he would have been off first by1 point and 2nd overall. The scoring system may of helped my daughter 6th-3rd -1st = 3rd overall. both of them together went through almost 15 gal of gas no parts lots of smiles no frowns except katy on friday when her idiot dad let her ride the 200. Glad i was able to stay the week cant wait till next year. As far as growing Homer surely gets his balance from his mama so if he gets his size from her he might remain small.

As far as growing Homer surely gets his balance from his mama so if he gets his size from her he might remain small.

Nah, you just need to feed him. His brother is pretty tall.

I didn't see ya'll at the red light in Jasper until you'd already made the corner. What size motor is in your minivan?

These kids are soo tough it is crazy!

Back in "01 I think, my Novice year(and theirs) in the Texas series, I narrowly managed to beat out Caleb and Josiah in the points race, they were riding better and better every event!

At the annual trophy presentation I said something like "At least they cannot ride the SR class when they move up!"

I think they advanced 2 or 3 classes in that one year following! Amazing! And they were around 10 years old at the time!

They have not stopped progressing!

All the kids on that level deserve the special week out in TN for the camp, it is a special time for them and a great get together and fun experience.(If they don't kill each other with challenges)

Special thanks to Dan and Charlie and Bruce, and all concerned for helping the youth groups! You guys are the best!

I hope you can feed them all! :thumbup:

Brian v6 ididnt see you either.

Couple more thoughts on the YN. Homer had school with Bruce Lerieche for 3 days and mentioned several times how much he liked Bruce I noticed he was pulling for him in the indoor. Homer said Bruce told him its his last year. Bruce like David Chavez has represented his country well and will leave a lasting impression on our youth. Another thought is the girls, My daughter who decided a week before the event that she would try riding a trials bike. Got to see a couple good line 1 riders the Carolines. Caroline Altman is fierce and determined and her score humbled many a boy including mine at least once. And after visiting with Caroline Allens mother finding out that she didnt start riding till she was 11 and rode a national when she was 14 is very incouraging (since i have an 11 year old starting) and their were lots of other girl riders scattered thru the classes. My daughter Katy i think is bitten with the trials bug and should be interesting she a very determined girl . Whats great about that is Dad for at least a short moment in time can teach i am sure if Katys serious it will be brief.

As far as the Line 1 riders seemed like a good bunch of boys. they ride good but if they get too pumped up about how well they ride they need to remember theres a couple of riders out west that werent there and they have been beating them and on 125s at that. It will be interesting to see how this week prepared them for the rest of the nationals in the jr class.

I liked the new format which made the classes a little bigger and also provided an outlet for a new rider to join in up.

Enough rambling by me im ready to hear from some of the rest of you are you guys home yet

We need SIRHC to post a picture of his Montesa, (beautiful bike Chris).

Maybe when I get home, right now I am still here at the TTC listening to all the teens at the youth camp play on Crowlers Wall.

It was another great event and our whole family had fun. Next year I may have another rider or two in the event.

I agree with what everybody has said, the Caroline's where camped next to us and they are great riders as well as very nice girls. We had Ian Delaney one of the #1 line riders stay with us and I know he tried really hard and gave it his all. I'm not sure if he was happy with second or not, but he should be proud of the way he rode, especially for only his second time at a big event.

Seeing how small all the 7&under riders where I'm just glad Ty isn't a month 1/2 younger and still on the 4 line. He was already the biggest kid in the 9&under class even if he was the youngest.

A few other things I like the new class structure but, they should drop the whole letter thing for the classes, and just call them 7&under, 9&under and so on. Looking at Ty's trophy that says class D you don't know what that means. Just 9&under would make more sense. I was also disappointed in no #1 plates, that was one of the coolest things.

We where lucky to have Ryan Young as a instructor for two days of the youth camp. I knew he was a good teacher, I just didn't know how good. I wish my 8 year old would of had a better attention span so he could have absorbed it all.

We are now off to Missouri on our way home so my wife can see a friend, the round trip was 4,400 miles what a few hundred more :thumbup:

Edited by sirhc

Hi Chris,

I'm sure if we want we can approach Dan with a new naming of the classes.

I'm thinking 7 year old champ class etc.

For those that don't know....

The new format allowed for kids to ride a lower line than the top class for their age.

We had Youth A - Youth E for the top classes based on age,

and Youth Advanced, Intermediate, Novice, and Beginner for kids that didn't want to

ride the hardest line for their age. I think it's a great format and allowed more kids to

ride in the competition without riding "over their heads".

These kids are soo tough it is crazy!

Back in "01 I think, my Novice year(and theirs) in the Texas series, I narrowly managed to beat out Caleb and Josiah in the points race, they were riding better and better every event!

At the annual trophy presentation I said something like "At least they cannot ride the SR class when they move up!"

I think they advanced 2 or 3 classes in that one year following! Amazing! And they were around 10 years old at the time!

They have not stopped progressing!

All the kids on that level deserve the special week out in TN for the camp, it is a special time for them and a great get together and fun experience.(If they don't kill each other with challenges)

Special thanks to Dan and Charlie and Bruce, and all concerned for helping the youth groups! You guys are the best!

I hope you can feed them all! :thumbup:

Same with little Zeke Mizell. Mama hauling him around on her hip. Then he is playing on bicycles. Soon we were helping him out on the Rookie line, and before you know it Novice. Turn around for a second (it seems like) and he is knocking on the door on our line!

Shut up Darrell, I feel old already! :thumbup:

I hope Chris brought his KOOBKCEHC!

From what I seen, and in all fairness the only head to head comp. with the TX and CA kids was in the top class as things worked out.

You can make check out to TYTA(Texas Youth Trials Assoc.)

Don't feel bad buddy, I'm getting them Mizell kids a little something special, too! New gloves for the top three, Joey, Caleb and David!

They deserve it!

Top job for Andrew Oldar! (my Sherco Team pick)

Not to change the subject, but I failed to see any MichLin photos giving big Al the tounge in the ear! Guess things did not work out, I'm sure Al is ---- dis---er a relieved! :P

What an awesome event yet again! Watching all the kids is fun in itself. Ty seemed so serious, The carolines amazing to watch. The mizells will need a class of their own....it's unfair to the other kids if they train together. All were as polite and nice as could be.

It was difficult for aaron moving to a bigger bike and a much harder line. He struggled but rode anyway.

I liked the way the sections were laid out, it was perfect! Having all levels on the same loop is great for the younger riders. It was relatively easy for spectators to keep up as well. I think the loop can be an effective learning tool for up and coming riders, without the pressure of ribbon.

I would like to thank all of the people who donated their time to work the event. I saw lots of people pitch in and help to keep things running smoothly.

Catherine, Dan, Bruce, Alex, Blane, Ryan, Brad And everyone whose name I can't remember,

Thank You!

The mizells will need a class of their own....it's unfair to the other kids if they train together

Anyone else notice how much better your kids ride after being around kids for a week.

Homer has all the riding area he wants right out his back door but no other kids to ride with. Some how it would be neat if kids could stay with each other for a week or so. Anyone that wants to come to or send their kid to missouri let me know