Interesting Front Pipe

martinm

Hi Martin

its supposed to work like an expansion chamber but give increased back pressure I think, the Honda TLM 50 had one as did the JCM 243. We were having trouble getting the JCM to run right so removed it as an experiment and it didnt make much difference as far as we could tell.

Shame to spoil an SWM with it I think you will agree.

Is that the right silencer ? I thought from memory only the Jumbo had a single exit from the silencer ?

Edited by Baldilocks

Later TYZ was fitted with these too, supposed to boost bottom end torque I think. I remember cutting mine off to soften the power delivery as it was a sharp motor on that particular bike.

Hi Martin

its supposed to work like an expansion chamber but give increased back pressure I think, the Honda TLM 50 had one as did the JCM 243. We were having trouble getting the JCM to run right so removed it as an experiment and it didnt make much difference as far as we could tell.

Shame to spoil an SWM with it I think you will agree.

Is that the right silencer ? I thought from memory only the Jumbo had a single exit from the silencer ?

Your right, the single exit pipe was fitted to the production Jumbo's, although the works 320's also used them. Just found out that this bike was one I sold to Gary Sadler a few years ago, and it was one of the nicest bikes I have come across.

Yes, the pipe does look a bit weird, but easy enough to find a replacement.

Cheers

Martin