Computer Tech Heads

gizza5

Ok ................all you computer geeks out there can somone give me some help?

When I boot up the computer from start up it takes ages to load, probably a good 4-5 minutes now this may not seem long, but it can sometimes be a pain.

Now is there loads of programmes that load on start up that are not required and can be removed?

Is there an easy way of identifying them and removing them safely without crashing the computer?

Is there a bit aof free software to do this safely?

Help appretiated

Ta very much :thumbup:

Click on Start then Run and then type in the box msconfig . This will bring up the System Configuration Utility

When its open, click on the Startup tab and it will show you what is running at start up. If you uncheck the box of anyone of the programs, they wont start at start up. If you are unsure what each thing does, copy the name and google it to find out about it.

When the computer restarts, it will come up with a box reminding you that some settings have been changed. Click OK then click OK on the next box then click Exit without restarting and then the computer will boot without those programs loading and running at startup. You can always go back and reselect them again if you wish.

A few other things cause slow start-up like the following :-

Fragmented Drive - run the defragment tool found in Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disc fragmenter

Non Optimised Registry - Install this Crap_Cleaner - this will clear out a lot of problems but make sure you back-up the registry as instructed.

Good Luck :thumbup:

go to google and search for Autoruns by sysinternals (now sadly brought out by microsoft but they haven't buggered it up yet!).. download it and fire it up. The main tab to look under is the one that says "logon" That is the main programes that start with the pc. Many don't need too. you can right click on one in the list and look online to see what it is, and if it is ok to stop it. When i had my pc from new it had 64 items start up... got that down to 30 now.

Autoruns can be downloaded by clicking Here

I use this too but be wary as its a very powerful tool. Similar to a Raga GasGas 300 :thumbup: