Adjusting The Chain

dibdab

I know this is probably a silly question...

Since riding a trials bike I have never been really sure where a chain should be adjusted.

I know how to adjust but not to what tension.

Can any of you far more experienced riders give me some pointers please.

Thank you.

Edited by dibdab

the chain as you know runs through a rubber tensioner i usually adjust the chain so there is approx 20mm gap between the top of this tensioner and the underneath of the swinging arm its what my manuals advise

the chain as you know runs through a rubber tensioner i usually adjust the chain so there is approx 20mm gap between the top of this tensioner and the underneath of the swinging arm its what my manuals advise

When it's off or on the stand?

Cheers

It's always worth sitting on the bike with all your weight after you've adjusted the chain, and see if it's gone tight.... ie like a guitar string.

If it's too tight, this can be worse than slightly too slack.

Cheers

if you have a maintenance stand then i would advise using that :-)

Cheers

if you have a maintenance stand then i would advise using that :-)

Thank you, I'll give that a go.

running your finger between the tensioner block and the swingarm is a good guage and rule of thumb! Not too much, not too little! :D

Thanks for the advice everyone:

Just to be sure then :D

I adjust the chain so that when I have my full weight on it there is about 20mm between tensioner and underside of swingarm?

running your finger between the tensioner block and the swingarm is a good guage and rule of thumb! Not too much, not too little! :D

Thanks for the advice everyone:

Just to be sure then :D

I adjust the chain so that when I have my full weight on it there is about 20mm between tensioner and underside of swingarm?

Right, I think I have it now, just adjusted it and have the 'thumb gap' whether it's on or off the stand.

It does seem quite tight, but that is probably because I had it way to loose before.

Thanks again.