Reving On Startup!

fordson major

I've had the same problem with my Beta 125cc 2006 for ages now. What happens is that you start the bike up normally (i.e. choke on, no throttle) and then when it fires up it SCREAMS it's head off so you have to quickly flick off the choke then feather it to keep it running.

It's not the tickover speed cos the tickover has to be wound in as the bike warms up to keep it running (I normally turn it down after every ride to try and limit how much the bike revs up on startup).

The bike had the Beta race kit and Boyesen reeds fitted but I recentley put the standard bits back on and still have the same problem. The boyesens made the bike run rich but I'd assume the revving problem was caused by getting too much air in.

The airbox to carb rubber is in perfect condition (i.e. no splits) as is the inlet rubber. Air filter's fine too.

If anyone could help me suss out what's causing the problem that'd be great cos it scares the **** out of me that if I don't flick off the choke quick enough it'll start revving and not stop, like a previous bike I had (very scary). Getting the problem sorted is mainly for the sake of my health :wacko:

Cheers in advance for any help,

Rob

I presume you have a Dellorto carb fitted?

We have a 2006 Beta 125 REV3 and it has done exactly the same as you describe since new, it also takes a little time for the bike to "settle down" and the idle speed naturally drops. But you are right, they rev high on full choke for sure. I think it is down to the fact it is a 125 and the Dellorto injects a fair bit of fuel when "on choke"

Big John

By the way, have you spoken to Lampkins about this? I'm almost certain they will say "They all do that!"

Edited by Big John

We have a 2006 Beta 125 REV3 and it has done exactly the same as you describe since new, it also takes a little time for the bike to "settle down" and the idle speed naturally drops. But you are right, they rev high on full choke for sure. I think it is down to the fact it is a 125 and the Dellorto injects a fair bit of fuel when "on choke"

Big John

My daughters 06 125 is the same, checked with lampkins when it was new and they assured us it was normal. We where also told not to let it warm up by leaving it to tickover, if you do it chokes up which can cause it to stop and be a bit of a pig to start, with lots of smoke when you try to clear it out. Blipping the throttle to warm up was the advice and it's been spot on since.

Big John

By the way, have you spoken to Lampkins about this? I'm almost certain they will say "They all do that!"

Haven't spoken to Lampkins. A bit surprised they haven't come up with a solution.

move the bike side to side quickly upon startup , then tell me what happens ? and i'll tell you how to fix it.............

move it side to side when it starts without choke or with choke on (and screaming it's head off).

I can live with the bike doing this it's just that I might be selling it soon so it'd be better to have it sorted if possible.

cheers for the replies so far.