Kytc Top Three's

telecat

Great trial again by KYTC, just a shame it was spoilt by Adalf Hitler who was observing on section one, and is apparently well known for upsetting everyone. It is getting to the point where riders need to ask each observer how they can ride each section now, hoping or no hoping, at British championship level all sections should be marked the same. Section 10 at this trial could only be ridden by moving the back wheel sideways which was aloud, but if you did the same on section one it was an instant 5, so the riders don,t know where they stand. While appreciating the time and considerable effort it takes to but on such a great trial as this one, it's a shame it was spoilt by the attitued and none common sense approch of one obsever.

Great trial again by KYTC, just a shame it was spoilt by Adalf Hitler who was observing on section one, and is apparently well known for upsetting everyone. It is getting to the point where riders need to ask each observer how they can ride each section now, hoping or no hoping, at British championship level all sections should be marked the same. Section 10 at this trial could only be ridden by moving the back wheel sideways which was aloud, but if you did the same on section one it was an instant 5, so the riders don,t know where they stand. While appreciating the time and considerable effort it takes to but on such a great trial as this one, it's a shame it was spoilt by the attitued and none common sense approch of one obsever.

And here lies the debate of which rules are best, seems the riders don't know what they are doing, the obsevors don't know either.....................................

Was the observor on section one right to give a five, as per the rules or maybe the sideways movement was infact a slight roll back, I was not there? but the rules are hard for both riders and observors to adhere to.

If he observed everyone the same then there shouldn't have been a problem, you still get a winner.

Having riden a few times down in the Kent area in the South Eastern Centre, I am guessing the observer on Section 1 is the same as the observer who used to upset everyone at the South Eastern Centre trials. I personally have nothing against being marked strict and exactly to the rules, as that is what they are there for, and this observer does observe well and the same to all riders. But its his attitude to the riders that upsets everyone.

Why cant Clubs have an Observer briefing before a Trial to make sure everyone knows the rules, wouldnt take more than 5 minutes. Iam always confused with the rules at a Trial along with what does the Observer deem to be the rules? its a right mess to be honest. Personally I would prefer a stop allowed with no mark penalty, a hell of alot of observers dont mark this as a one already even if it should be a one and no going backwards.

Recently me and ralph did a Trial where an observer gave us both a lecture whilst walking the secion of how he was an old hand at this and any stop would be a five :) the said section had a mega tight 180 degree turn that had to be hopped to get around. We spent a few minutes trying to calm him down and point out a stop was a one and not a five as per the rules in the event but he would nt budge. We missed the section that lap as we knew Mr Haslam would be along shortly and would be in a much better position to argue the case.

Grumpy and rude Observers who always take on two sections at time get on me tits fairish as well <_< eh Pete :wacko:

The old school observer in a new school section,only one answer to this find yourself's some observer's that know how to mark a hoping trial if that's what it was or failing that give up your own ride for the day and observe yourself but that won't happen will it.

Bilco, I do my fair share of observing and helping out in the year, I was only commenting on the fact that many observers/riders dont know what the rules are at some Trials. A simple breifing before the event to the riders/Observers to clarify things so there wouldnt be any problems in the day. If the Trials non stop everyone knows inc observers and you cant argue with that, but if its not a non stop trial and you get fived instead of a dab its a bloody mess.

Edited by The Addict

I think an observer briefing before the trial would be great, but the main problem that clubs have is that alot of observers like to leave to go to their section early in order to look at it, or if it's far away get there before the riders do. That means in order to do the briefing they would have to get all the observers together way before the start of the trial. Possibly a sheet of paper with all the main rules on it would work well.

Under current ACU rules for the majority of club trials a stop is a one, but it is sometimes difficult as a rider to try and argue when the observer who has given a five, as he has done so for all the riders beforehand. Also other common disagreements come from standing still with a foot down, which as far as i know is a 2 but I have been given a five for before, and also putting your toe down without taking it off the peg, which I have always thought was a clean.

Obviously I really appreciate the efforts of the observers, and having observed quite a few times before, I know how it can be a thankless tast, but in a low scoring trial, the difference between a 1 and a 5 could mean the difference between a win and second, third or fourth.

ok,let's persume the club's are well aware of how there setting out section's and to what rule's they want them to be ridden,if they state it's a non stop only trial they might fear that the hopper's won't turn up which mean's to them lost revenue.

Now with that in mind what exactly would they tell an observer that's been round the block how they should observe.

yes your right addict thing's do seem to be in a mess,however the people that are able to address the situation don't seem to be interested in doing so.

Edited by bilco

Always tricky this one! I suppose the answer is simple. Section 1 could be ridden non-stop. NYL's approach was to keep the bike moving forward even when flicking and bouncing. This satisfied the observer. I agree tho that 10 could not be ridden non stop ( i.e. one for a stop), on the "B" class route. the approach was way too tight and the observer there HAD to take the view that it was not going to be ridden without stopping at that point. That is down to the Clerk of the Course and it should not have been there especially as the other sections were pretty much spot on for non or one stop marking.

My two lads rode in the Scarborough Youth Two Day Trial recently. (Brilliant event). The club used the F.I.M. rules (stop aloud).

I observerved on the first day and these rules made my job much easier than the normal one mark for a stop system.

It removed the "was that a stop or not situation". The riders knew the score and a lot of pressure was removed by the use of these rules.

Most weekends I observe where my lads are riding and we all have our own interpretation of how to mark a riders effort.

The F.I.M. rules may not be everyones cup of tea, but at least they remove ONE variable from the scenario.

I appreciate NO STOP could have the same effect, but it would still be down to the judgement of the observer.

Good topic lads.

Mike.