Beta 250 2004

jlonglan

Hi All

I would welcome some feedaback on how much I should pay for a 2004 Rev3 250

Engine is OK

Clutch drags a little, but seems to clear up once the first few seconds (each time) of being pulled in

Overall is a bit tatty, cracked trim and show signs of poor maintenance

Not so much hard use, I would guess.

Lower end of rear shock has big play in it, new bush? or bolt? Any views? Is that sort of thing cheap and easy or mad and difficult?

Rear subframe is slightly twisted so pipe just touches wheel, possible bend-straightable....

Any views welcome

Also any general comments, I am new to betas and trials !

Cheers

Jerry

Can't comment on the price but as for the other things:

The clutch drag from cold is common to many bikes although Betas seem particularly prone, especially if it's not used regularly. It's not really a problem and usually sorts itself after a few seconds but putting the bike in gear and rocking it backwards and forwards a few times with the clutch in prior to starting can help.

It sounds as though your lower shock bearing has gone. The good news it that it's a pretty easy job, just remove the shock whack the old bearing out and whack the new one in. Oh yeah - the bearing is retained by a small circlip at either side - remember to prise them out before you start hammering (and replace when done)!

If the subframe's only slightly bent or twisted, you can prevent the silencer from rubbing on the tyres by adding a couple of washers (or even better, a rubber spacer) to the mounting bracket.

2k should get you a good 06, 1500 a 05 and 1200 plus an 04. As Barry said the sub frame or what resemble one is real cheap and easy to sort out. ATF is brilliant in the clutch, wished i had discovered it years ago would have saved me a small fortune, and as neon said the bush is easy to sort.

Make sure the shock works ok ie; you can adjust it rebounding damping etc, if its really springy and wont take any knocking off the shock might be f****d and can be very expensive. Have a good ride on it and make sure all the gears works 1-6 and no grindy-nasty noises. Gear changing on a trials bike isnt a smooth as a road bike so expect it to be. Have a quick look at the rad water via the tank insert, easy enough to do.

Wheel bearings,fork seals,bit tatty,clutch drag are easy things to sort out so dont be too put off by that if the motor is strong and gearbox works fine.

Ask what 2 stroke mix he uses, oil and mix ratio as well and how many hours the clutch fluid has gets changed as well as how often the air filter gets cleaned or changed. If it p****s with fuel when the tap is turned on......this is normal for a rev3.............its designed to do that ;) easy enough to sort out and not a problem you have to walk away from

Whats the bike up for?

2k should get you a good 06, 1500 a 05 and 1200 plus an 04. As Barry said the sub frame or what resemble one is real cheap and easy to sort out. ATF is brilliant in the clutch, wished i had discovered it years ago would have saved me a small fortune, and as neon said the bush is easy to sort.

Make sure the shock works ok ie; you can adjust it rebounding damping etc, if its really springy and wont take any knocking off the shock might be f****d and can be very expensive. Have a good ride on it and make sure all the gears works 1-6 and no grindy-nasty noises. Gear changing on a trials bike isnt a smooth as a road bike so expect it to be. Have a quick look at the rad water via the tank insert, easy enough to do.

Wheel bearings,fork seals,bit tatty,clutch drag are easy things to sort out so dont be too put off by that if the motor is strong and gearbox works fine.

Ask what 2 stroke mix he uses, oil and mix ratio as well and how many hours the clutch fluid has gets changed as well as how often the air filter gets cleaned or changed. If it p****s with fuel when the tap is turned on......this is normal for a rev3.............its designed to do that ;) easy enough to sort out and not a problem you have to walk away from

Whats the bike up for?

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated, I reckon I can get it for about

Can't comment on the price but as for the other things:

The clutch drag from cold is common to many bikes although Betas seem particularly prone, especially if it's not used regularly. It's not really a problem and usually sorts itself after a few seconds but putting the bike in gear and rocking it backwards and forwards a few times with the clutch in prior to starting can help.

It sounds as though your lower shock bearing has gone. The good news it that it's a pretty easy job, just remove the shock whack the old bearing out and whack the new one in. Oh yeah - the bearing is retained by a small circlip at either side - remember to prise them out before you start hammering (and replace when done)!

If the subframe's only slightly bent or twisted, you can prevent the silencer from rubbing on the tyres by adding a couple of washers (or even better, a rubber spacer) to the mounting bracket.

Thanks very much for your thoughts, I appreciate it!

Jerry