New Owner Of Aprillia Climer 280

bladerunner

Hi peeps!

Just bought a climber 280 today and been trawling the net for info which landed me here.

I've read the posts before and yes mine does have leaking fork seals..oh joy as it seems to be a common issue with these bikes..I was rather interested in the 3 seal mod mentioned elsewere in the forum as a possible fix!!

If anybody on here has any tech info on these bikes I'd be very grateful,

any manuals or parts suppliers contact details..that kinda thing..to be honest i dont even know the oil pre mix ratio so was going to play safe with 30:1 as thats what i run the track RGV on I've seen 50:1 or 70:1 but what do you guys use?

Thanks in advance for any help

Rob

I use 80:1 on mine and its been fine for years, I think 30:1 would be much too rich.

Peter knight power sports uk (do a google search) has manuals for the engines. And he sells parts for the engines.

Cant think of anything else off the top of my head, but if I do, I'll post here.

I use 80:1 on mine and its been fine for years, I think 30:1 would be much too rich.

Peter knight power sports uk (do a google search) has manuals for the engines. And he sells parts for the engines.

Cant think of anything else off the top of my head, but if I do, I'll post here.

Thanks for the info!! I'll be taking it out for a first run tomorrow after i fit the new inner tube and mix some fuel..I'll do it at 80:1 with the same fully synth premix castrol I use in the RGV for now!

and I'll give Peter knight a call to see what rotax spare are like...I guess i dont have to change the crank every 1000 miles and pistons every 500 miles like the littlle suzuki...oh the joy. But I do want to pull the motor apart and give it a refresh if for no other reason than piece of mind and to get to know the beastie a little better

Cheers

Rob

Only other thing I can remember is that I got LOTS of different opinions on how much gearbox oil should be in them.

Mine..(watercooled 93 model) has had 1,400 mls in it, and it appears to be fine.

Note it IS alot more than modern bikes, like my Beta that only takes 550mls

Maybe thats why the old beasty is so heavy!!!!

Oops..

sorry, mine has 900 mls in it.

i think it was the aircooled ones that had more.

AARGH..Now I'm confused!! Cheers for the info anyhow...I'mk guessing its got a oil level check screw or something simmilar.I aint looked yet.

Mate of mine took it for a spin up the local mountain yesterday and it went well after a fun start as the throttle cable had been dis logged and was reving a bit high...He's more used to crossers and gsxr600's and the like...Was rather funny watching him try to stall it in first gear whilst standing on the left side of the bike!!!! It dragged him 100 feet up the hill before he managed to jump in the saddle and hit the back brake!!Not bad coz he's about 18 stone!!!

One thing that did arise from the trip is the fact the swingarm bearings are totaly shot...you can move the wheel left to right by about half an inch..HMMM Time to start ordering parts but the local bike shops just shrug their shoulders and say "Cant get spares for them".... :P:blink:

Should be able to get bearing from any decent bearing shop...and cheaper than a bike shop. Try to get the old ones out without knackering them and then take them to the bearing shop with you and they will hopefully give you the correct ones.

Worth a try anyway!