Week 33 - Non-players Are The Great Scourge

Andy

Well to be honest this sending in reg's thing is over rated and out of date.Personaly i decide on the night before if i want to ride a trial or not.

If you look at it square on there are only a couple of the big trial's and it is just a couple that you would need to send reg's in for,is it really worth getting tight about. :D

Pre entering probably is over rated and out of date... unless you are trying to organise a trial for over 100 riders visiting numerous land owners and you have no idea how many are going to turn up!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a good idea not sending in regs for big trials :(

First to sign on, late number :D

Queue starts the night before, bit like WOMEN queing for the January SALES :D

Few ''Dust Ups'' between riders for queue jumping, that could be worth watching and make good use of the St Johns Ambulance :wacko:

What a good idea not sending in regs for big trials :D

First to sign on, late number :D

Queue starts the night before, bit like WOMEN queing for the January SALES :D

Few ''Dust Ups'' between riders for queue jumping, that could be worth watching and make good use of the St Johns Ambulance :wacko:

LMFAO :(

Well to be honest this sending in reg's thing is over rated and out of date.Personaly i decide on the night before if i want to ride a trial or not.

If you look at it square on there are only a couple of the big trial's and it is just a couple that you would need to send reg's in for,is it really worth getting tight about. :D

Hmmm.... I'll suggest it for next years Novogar.

Those that turn up first can go off last, so they can wait 3 hours once they've signed on, and those that enter last can set off straight away. We'll have a guess at how many bibs we'll need, somewhere between 60 and 200, and how long we're going to have to have observers at sections before they move on to later sections, do the program on the day so that the series sponsors can still get their name out there. The rider that travels from Cornwall to Mid Wales and arrives 30 minutes before the start to find that we've already hit our entry limit would maybe observe for us?

Or are you suggesting we don't have a timed start and in the case of our Forest Trophy trial, 200 riders set off along the road together at the same time. We'll have a bit of queing, but we'll manage.

It works fine for a standard club trial, but the pre-entry is there for a reason, several reasons in fact, a few of which I've listed. Our club alone runs three trials this year with pre-entry, and you'd be surprised how many there are throughout the year.

Excuse my sarcasm, you know I mean well :D

As far as not turning up when entered goes, it's not just the organisers that see the shltty end of it. Look at the Manx 2 Day where it's over subscribed. Riders are chomping at the bit to spend 400 quid getting to a class trial, and it turns out that they could have actually ridden.

Same goes for the Peter Kay lookalike I heard bragging on day 2 that he'd got drunk, slept in and didn't start until the lunch break. Just go and watch next year! Let somebody else have a go.

Overthehill is right, if you have entered and are found to have been riding elsewhere, then there is a rule in the handbook which allows you to be prosecuted (i think it also allows you to prosecute if no reasonable excuse is provided for a DNS). One of our secretaries of meeting, who does our enduro and a few trials, is hot on this for our oversubscribed events.

I think it was Big John that mentioned this, not Overthehill, at the risk of being branded a "rule bearing jobs worth"!

However, I remember a couple of bans being instigated in Scotland many years ago when a couple of guys entered a trial then didn't turn up, deciding to ride an event on the same day nearer home, they suffered a three month ban on riding by way of an example being set to deter a reoccurence of such selfish behaviour.

There is nothing worse than laying out a trials course out to be mucked about like that. It's not about the money, we are all volunteers!

Big John

Heck. Some of you organizers are incredible tight arses.

If someone enters and does not turn up its their loss. Why do you get yourself so wound up about it?

As long as it is a good trial and everyone there enjoys it what else matters? After all its pretty rare that more than half a dozen do not show.

I suppose you all gave up riding and started organizing because you could not stand the criticism of getting a five.

What are you going to do the next time you organize an enter on the day event and only 35 riders turn up? Drown yourself in the river or cry in the corner of the field?

Come one lads get a life it is only a game. As long as the riders that turn up enjoy the event does anything else really matter?

If you look at it square on there are only a couple of the big trial's and it is just a couple that you would need to send reg's in for,is it really worth getting tight about. :wacko:

Excuse my sarcasm, you know I mean well :D

It's ok Darling,no Sex for you tonight though. :D

Heck. Some of you organizers are incredible tight arses.

If someone enters and does not turn up its their loss. Why do you get yourself so wound up about it?

As long as it is a good trial and everyone there enjoys it what else matters? After all its pretty rare that more than half a dozen do not show.

I suppose you all gave up riding and started organizing because you could not stand the criticism of getting a five.

What are you going to do the next time you organize an enter on the day event and only 35 riders turn up? Drown yourself in the river or cry in the corner of the field?

Come one lads get a life it is only a game. As long as the riders that turn up enjoy the event does anything else really matter?

:D This has got to be Ishy on the wind-up!!!

Edited by Highland Lassie

I have no objections to the "turn up on the day and ride" situation for certain types of club events and suchlike, but for larger trials it is simply bad news from a management position.

One example is, up in our neck of the woods we usually have a caterer on site and we need to know what level of "customer" we can tell the catering person to cover, so many riders plus so many observers & officials plus a little more for mates etc.

Not only that, the length and diversity of the lap to avoid queues forming, whether to split the entry, land damage and the like.

Many of the posts appear to be from riders, maybe that haven't even actually spent a lot of time laying out a trial..maybe?

Not having a rant, but just give a little bit of thought to the volunteers that don't ride on a Sunday to give other folks fun on a Sunday!

Big John

It's not. Unless the Ishmeister has moved back to the UK and there's no way he's gonna swap a couch in Oregon for life back here! However, our fluffy friend is under observation for blatant trolling.

It's not. Unless the Ishmeister has moved back to the UK and there's no way he's gonna swap a couch in Oregon for life back here! However, our fluffy friend is under observation for blatant trolling.

Trolling?

I have been accused of some strange tings before, but never Trolling!

Whats that all about then? Is it like entering but not showing up?

Please enlighten me.

Trolling?

I have been accused of some strange tings before, but never Trolling!

Whats that all about then? Is it like entering but not showing up?

Please enlighten me.

Not guilty flower :D but old fluffy does have a like way with the word, must be a tyke.

Fluffy buns, now they do call thi backside ower here thi buns, and fluffy can only mean covered in wool or like substance.

Boot the hairy a***d troll off Andy :wacko:

"What are you going to do the next time you organize an enter on the day event and only 35 riders turn up? Drown yourself in the river or cry in the corner of the field?

Come one lads get a life it is only a game. As long as the riders that turn up enjoy the event does anything else really matter? "

35 riders at our club trial???? Wow I'd be happy with that many :D

You are more than welcome to come along to one of our club trials and enjoy yourself, that'd make a bumper entry of 36! Mkae sure you introduce yourself when you sign on.

Guess I'll be going onto the blacklist too then because I fundamentally agree with with fluffybuns on this one.

I agree TOTALLY with the courtesy aspect but all this stuff about having your license suspended for entering one trial and riding another... that's just silly. It's a fact of life that some people are inconsiderate arseholes (and usually stupefyingly arrogant to boot). Trials has fewer of them than many other sports but there's still a small percentage out there and that will NEVER change. The belief that these people can be legislated away from events is naive in the extreme. How many clubs (or even the ACU, AMCA or whatever) want to spend time fighting legal battles with someone who's taken them to court for a license suspension due to them entering one event and riding another? They might even have a very good reason for doing so and therefore have a legitimate claim.

Yes it's a pain in the bum for organisers and can be disheartening but non-attendance could also be viewed as being a natural idiot filter. I realise that (especially in light of what I said above about possibly legitimate claims) this is a case of tarring everyone with the same brush but consider that the people we're talking about are exactly the kind of people who, if they can't be bothered to pick up the phone and tell someone they won't be able to start, are likely to barge to the front of section queues, argue with observers and spend days following an event in an email battle with the club secretary over a disputed dab that made the difference between 44th and 45th place in class.

File this issue under "meh" and "fact of life".

The belief that these people can be legislated away from events is naive in the extreme. How many clubs (or even the ACU, AMCA or whatever) want to spend time fighting legal battles with someone who's taken them to court for a license suspension due to them entering one event and riding another? They might even have a very good reason for doing so and therefore have a legitimate claim.

I don't think for a minute that the governing bodies of the sport actually want to ban anybody at any time or for that matter waste good time and money on inconsiderate people, however, you must have a set of rules in place to deal with irregularities, that's also a fact of life and to aid giving adequate protection. Otherwise we would not get any insurance cover for a start.

I am not saying "just ban them", if they have a legitimate reason for not turning up, then just let the Secretary know...but don't simply ride another event, that's simply bad manners old boy!

Big John

The belief that these people can be legislated away from events is naive in the extreme. How many clubs (or even the ACU, AMCA or whatever) want to spend time fighting legal battles with someone who's taken them to court for a license suspension due to them entering one event and riding another? They might even have a very good reason for doing so and therefore have a legitimate claim.

I don't think for a minute that the governing bodies of the sport actually want to ban anybody at any time or for that matter waste good time and money on inconsiderate people, however, you must have a set of rules in place to deal with irregularities, that's also a fact of life and to aid giving adequate protection. Otherwise we would not get any insurance cover for a start.

I am not saying "just ban them", if they have a legitimate reason for not turning up, then just let the Secretary know...but don't simply ride another event, that's simply bad manners old boy!

Big John

Well said Big John.

Can you imagine any solicitor taking up a case on behalf of a rider who'd been banned for entering an event -then riding in another- then had their affiliation suspended? No way. Guilty..... do the crime pay the fine.

But apart from all that.... it really is plain bad manners!