Section 12 Observer

I agree that scoring these guy's would be a daunting task .

However ...

I was at #3 Sun. lap 2 and as Fuji entered the section , bobbled in the rocks , went down , CLANKED the left bar on the rocks , picked it up , only to drag a good size rock on the way back down which rolled  into a most inopportune position , which the minder without hesitation removed , and he continued on with a 1!!????!!

Trials TV was right next to me . I said to him , " Did you get That ! ? "

He smiled and pointed at his camera .

Not that it matters now .....

:(

You have to watch for that stuff. Saturday on the 2nd loop Raga's minders put two rocks in the end of my section (14, at the drop of the next to last rock).. While Adam was beginning the section I kindly kicked them back out. :D

But I have to agree with Mike.. it's tough and you're all welcome to do it next time.

Consider also that yes, we got some money (enough to cover expenses only if you live close to Duluth and camp instead of getting a room!) BUT we don't get to see much riding! You guys get to see it all.. Even if you have a late numbered section by the time the top pros are getting to the first 4 sections it's time to head back to check the juniors.

One note for SCA.. We definitely -can- improve on the consistency of our scoring, and I'll personally volunteer to be a part of this effort should the WR come back to Duluth in the future.

The first thing we have to do is get rid of the NATC tape. It introduces more confusion than it solves. We can put the FIM animations on CD and distribute that, with a printed copy of the world round rules. Then, as two years ago, we can attempt to get out to club events earlier in the season and have WR checking training, much like Martin did for WOTA in 2002.

And don't let all this whining effect you. You guys do a great job..

--

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe

Senior Support Engineer, Macromedia

Flash Senior Escalation Engineer

Owner, soon-to-be-renamed TEAM MEGAMO MIDWEST

Webmaster: http://www.wisconsintrials.org http://www.madisonmotorcycleclub.org http://www.megamousa.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not as Duluth, but i have been to many world rounds, both in England, and France, and have seen many dubious decisions, and although i applaud the efforts of obsevers I believe that it has come to a point in the World Rounds when we should employ professional observers which are paid to observe at each event, like in football and cricket. These observers would be well trained and consistant as they would observe every round.

I believe with the importance and closeness of the World Championship, there is a urgent need for this to stop the observer problem going out of control

There was a two-hour observers meeting before the event but I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect that people with little or no trials experience to make tough calls.

Some of the teams (like Bentley's and Mike OD's) were made up of experienced trials riders but many weren't, in part because a lot of club members who checked two years ago wanted no part of it again... too hard and you miss too much.

It seems like it would help if the FIM put together an observer training video/DVD. The animations at

http://www.fim.ch/TRIAL%20CD/VT/grups_zones_an.htm

are a start but without a narration, they're not all that helpful for a novice observer.

I wasn't an observer but I don't think the discussion here has been too harsh on them. It's part of the fun of any sport that you follow, dissecting all the angles with yer pals after a big event is all over.