Ty175 Tuning

trialsmm

My rebuilt 1975 TY175 is running poorly. This is the first running since engine rebuild. It runs fair, but pops and kinda backfires. Doesn't want to idle.

I've gone back and checked timing several times. I put a new carb on, but it still runs the same. Could it be the capacitor or coil?

Any hints would be great!

Mick

My rebuilt 1975 TY175 is running poorly. This is the first running since engine rebuild. It runs fair, but pops and kinda backfires. Doesn't want to idle.

I've gone back and checked timing several times. I put a new carb on, but it still runs the same. Could it be the capacitor or coil?

Mick

try gapping points so they only just open very small gap.put rag over screwdriver to wipe clean points.now try it.then put new points on if runs ok

Mick

try gapping points so they only just open very small gap.put rag over screwdriver to wipe clean points.now try it.then put new points on if runs ok

I have set the timing at .007" btdc with dial guage several times. Thanks, mm

Edited by trialsmm

• 4 weeks later...

Mick

SOUNDS LIKE THE CONDENSOR IS BREAKING DOWN , PLEASE CHECK THE FACES OF THE POINTS ARE CLEAN WITH NO PIT MARKS . THESE CAN BE CLEANED WITH GLASS PAPER , THEN PASS A CLEAN PIECE OF CARD THROUGH TO REMOVE ANY DIRT . THE IGNITION TIMING SHOULD BE SET AT 1.8 MM BEFORE TOP DEAD CENTER . USING A DIAL GAUGE IN THE PLUG HOLE AND A POINTS METER TO CHECK WHEN THE POINTS ARE CLOSING . ALSO CHECK THAT THE PILOT JET IS CLEAN REMOVE USING AN SMALL FLAT SCREWDRIVER NAD BLOW THROUGH IT BOTH WAYS THIS STOPS THE MACHINE FROM TICKING OVER .

SAM B