Remembrance Sunday

Andy

This Sunday will mark the 89th Anniversary of the guns falling silent at 11am on the 11th hour of the 11th month to mark Armistice Day and the end of World War I. That day has since become known as Rememberance Sunday where, globally, we are supposed to fall silent at 11am for two minutes as a mark of respect to those who died so that way may live free lives. Whilst the ACU and many other organisations observe this silence, many individuals don't.

I'd recommend all watch this video. Expand the text on the right hand side for the reasons behind it then watch and listen to the lyrics.

Clickable link

Is two minutes really too much to give up?

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Very touching videos.......

Is two minutes really too much to give up?

I think the question should be, is two minutes enough???? I really do feel that the men and women of our armed forces are unappreciated, by the majority in the uk certainly, I know USA and Canada are far more proud. But is it enough????

our lads and lassies spend 4-8 months of the year in a war zone to then come home, have a parade through town where only have a handful of people, mainly family, turn up to welcome them home!

Does anyone else think that the kids these days dont care what happened, or can they siply not be bothered???

Where has the National Pride gone????

Rant over

I think that the minute or two minutes silence has been de-valued in a lot of ways. When I was a season ticket holder at Middlesbrough there appeared to be a minutes silence every other week for someone or other.

Its difficult to put a timescale on how long the silence should be, is 2 minutes better than 1 minute is 5 minutes better than 2. The fact is we could remain silent for the rest of our days and it still would into insignificance compared to the sacrifice given by others. Thinking about those who we are remembering should always remain with us.

I think it is important to wear your poppy and also to attend the remberance day services, so as the older generation will know that we do and we will always care. The turn out at the service I go to is always well attended and by all ages.

Two very moving vids !! I am not an emotional fella, but they moved the heart strings a lot > We all take everything for granted , when you see something like that it just makes you feel just how lucky we are and how proud we should be. of all those that have, and are, and will fight for our country and others for there country. RESPECT :D

:D

89 years on...

This is a video that a young girl in the USA put together.

(sound on)

Motosinge83

Christ, that clip certainly tugged at the heart strings!

I've always had the utmost respect for our armed forces past and present, so I think a couple of minutes silence is the least we can do to show our support. This Sunday, whether they like it or not - I'm going to take the wife and kids to a rememberance parade to show that we are very proud and very grateful of our lads and lasses.

"Lest we forget..."

Good on you Kinell! I sat my son down this morning and had him watch the video that Andy posted. I explained what it meant to the guy who wrote the song and what it means to me! Remembrance Day is taken very seriously in both my kids schools. They make a huge deal out of it and have the whole school attend a large assembly.

Both my grandparents fought in WWII in Europe. One with the Canadian Army and one with the British Army. My grandfather on me mums side was actually a motorcycle messenger! Must be in the genes eh! By a twist of fate, he narrowly escaped death one day when their base was shelled by the Germans while most of the men were leaving the mess hall. My grandad was injured by shrapnel in both his hip and his head. His mate who had left the mess hall minutes before him, was not so fortunate..........he never made it. I can remember that story from him like it was yesterday and how vivid it was to me as a lad!

After watching the video today it, I am going to do something similar to Kinell and actually attend our local ceremony at our Cenetaph on Sun with the kids............hoping I can instill in them the memories that I have and will never forget, about young men who layed down there lives and enabled US to live the life we enjoy today! Cheers Andy!

steve

We all tend to forget what others gave up to give us the freedoms we all take for granted these days, not just the WW1 but every successive conflict since where our soldiers, sailors, airmen and civilians have given their lives so that we can live ours.

I remember a programme on TV years ago called ANZACs about the Aussies and New Zealanders who fought in WW1, most memorably in Gallipoli before joining everyone else in Flanders. It starred Paul Hogan and I think we expected a light hearted look, how wrong we were. Around the same time I heard Mike Harding, the folk singer sing the song below written by a Scotsman, Eric Bogle who has lived in Australia for 30 odd years, the lyrics say much, It hit me hard, we must never forget:

Now when I was a young man I carried me pack

And I lived the free life of the rover.

From the Murray's green basin to the dusty outback,

Well, I waltzed my Matilda all over.

Then in 1915, my country said, "Son,

It's time you stop ramblin', there's work to be done."

So they gave me a tin hat, and they gave me a gun,

And they marched me away to the war.

And the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"

As the ship pulled away from the quay,

And amidst all the cheers, the flag waving, and tears,

We sailed off for Gallipoli.

And how well I remember that terrible day,

How our blood stained the sand and the water;

And of how in that hell that they call Suvla Bay

We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter.

Johnny Turk, he was waitin', he primed himself well;

He showered us with bullets, and he rained us with shell --

And in five minutes flat, he'd blown us all to hell,

Nearly blew us right back to Australia.

But the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"

When we stopped to bury our slain,

Well, we buried ours, and the Turks buried theirs,

Then we started all over again.

And those that were left, well, we tried to survive

In that mad world of blood, death and fire.

And for ten weary weeks I kept myself alive

Though around me the corpses piled higher.

Then a big Turkish shell knocked me ar se over head,

And when I woke up in me hospital bed

And saw what it had done, well, I wished I was dead --

Never knew there was worse things than dying.

For I'll go no more "Waltzing Matilda,"

All around the green bush far and free --

To hump tents and pegs, a man needs both legs,

No more "Waltzing Matilda" for me.

So they gathered the crippled, the wounded, the maimed,

And they shipped us back home to Australia.

The armless, the legless, the blind, the insane,

Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla.

And as our ship sailed into Circular Quay,

I looked at the place where me legs used to be,

And thanked Christ there was nobody waiting for me,

To grieve, to mourn and to pity.

But the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"

As they carried us down the gangway,

But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared,

Then they turned all their faces away.

And so now every April, I sit on my porch

And I watch the parade pass before me.

And I see my old comrades, how proudly they march,

Reviving old dreams of past glory,

And the old men march slowly, all bones stiff and sore,

They're tired old heroes from a forgotten war

And the young people ask "What are they marching for?"

And I ask meself the same question.

But the band plays "Waltzing Matilda,"

And the old men still answer the call,

But as year follows year, more old men disappear

Someday, no one will march there at all.

Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda.

Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?

And their ghosts may be heard as they march by the billabong,

Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda with me?

Edited by Slapshot 3

Went on a 'war walks' coach trip last year in France, visited the WW2 D Day landing beaches of Omaha, Gold, Sword, Juno and Utah. Spent some time at Omaha - immaculate white headstones and beautifully kept gardens but an eerie feeling which I suppose was a mixture of respect and guilt along with an overwhelming feeling of being unworthy.

There were many WW1 burial sites too, German soldiers had grey headstones, it was a sad butstrangely enjoyable trip and plenty of beer flowed (mainly strong Belgium beer!) but it made everyone stop to think and many heart strings had a hard time. I just hope the respect continues.

Eiger

I'm always busy on Remembrance Day, and Remembrance Sunday. Local parades with the village Brass Band. But even if theres a year when I'm not busy I won't be doing anything like travelling or riding. And if I can I'll always try to have a trumpet with me. Sounds daft but the Last Post is moving even if you're on your own.

Maybe a trial on Remembrance day wouldn't be a bad idea, provided it doesn't start until at least half 11. Make sure that everyone is there at half 10 and have our own act of Remembrance. The head of the club to read out the poem that Cota Kid posted.

Sure, afterwards we'll all go and have a good time on our bikes. But in a way that would be ok I feel. How many accounts of Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen say that when a friend died they had a big binge afterwards, especially the Airmen. In a way I kind of feel that provided we show the respect and the silence is meant, then having a good time and being thankful for it afterwards is just an appropriate a way of saying Thank You to all those who didn't come home. It might just be me who thinks that though!