Remembrance Sunday

Andy

All very poignant and moving stuff.

I do sometimes wonder if the "memory" of why we have the freedom to choose what we do will die with us?

Perhaps we are the last generation brought up to stand and remember.

How many remember when we stood for the National Anthem at the end of the film every time we went to the Cinema?

It was just what you did wasnt it?

Well what i always do wherever i am whatever i may be doing at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11 month is stop and think and give thanks for all those who gave their lives so that i can live mine the way i choose.

Thanks for the videos and the poems all.

We all owe a great debt that can never be repaid but will always be remembered as long as i can stand in silence and pay homage.

Perhaps some of the younger members of the forum will watch those videos and read and remember then perhaps just perhaps it may have been all worthwhile?

Enjoy your Sunday one and all and is two minutes silence too much to ask? Only you can answer that one.

Peace.

Perhaps some of the younger members of the forum will watch those videos and read and remember then perhaps just perhaps it may have been all worthwhile?

I agree. Some of we youngsters just don't care and it sickens me. Other kids at school would complain about the extra Parade and Chapel service while I always enjoyed it - its the least I can do. I'm sure that if it weren't for the sacrifice of those in WW2 I wouldn't be here - I've been told that many generations ago there were Jews in our family tree close enough to my Grandparents to condemn them if we had been invaded.

Of course we mustn't forget those who have died more recently, in Iraq and Afghanistan. People tend to forget that it is war out there and that there are still people dieing for us.

I really don't know what I think.

It sort of annoys me to see people harping on about 2 minutes on remembrance Sunday to remember those who fell, when we're still losing soldiers due to lack of resources in the field.

I'll be biting my tongue when Gordon Brown lays his wreath.

I know everyone means well, but this one day seems to make everyone feel like they've done their bit to remember, when for the rest of the year there's a fair dose of neglect administered to our troops.

Most of my mates who stayed in are feeling that things are getting worse for our forces, this topped up by the lack of support for them in a war (or wars) that much of the country are not so sure we should be involved with. Most of them are coming to the end of their service and wondering where things will go for the future of our forces. The numbers at the moment - 3 of them leave - 2 new recruits are taken on.

What are we remembering? Those who died? The reason they died? Why we shouldn't let it happen again? Have we learnt any lessons?

I dunno. It's one of the issues I find it hard to decide what my feelings are. Not intended to offend anyone with this and hopefully I've worded it well enough not to. I have great respect for the fallen and the serving, but I'm not sure that we remember for the right reasons sometimes. One of my more sombre posts ;)

I actually wouldn't be that disappointed if someone could convince that my negativity is ill founded.

Andy,

Thanks for putting the poppy on the Trials Central every year to remind us of the sacrifices so many have made and continue to make today.

My personal Heros are my 89 year old father in law who was in the U.S. Navy serving in the Pacific in WWII and my 28 year old son who is serving in the Special Forces as a Green Beret.

I know first hand of my son's sacrific as well as his wife, three daughters, and 2 year old son makes every day. He is in a jungle a thousand miles away on this Veterans day. It's his job, and knows what is expected. He sold his trials bike as he just didn't have time to ride it.

As you can tell, I am very proud of his service.

I wanted post of picture of grandson and grandpa in uniform together but didn't see the attachment button.

Jack B.

I really don't know what I think.

It sort of annoys me to see people harping on about 2 minutes on remembrance Sunday to remember those who fell, when we're still losing soldiers due to lack of resources in the field.

I'll be biting my tongue when Gordon Brown lays his wreath.

I know everyone means well, but this one day seems to make everyone feel like they've done their bit to remember, when for the rest of the year there's a fair dose of neglect administered to our troops.

Most of my mates who stayed in are feeling that things are getting worse for our forces, this topped up by the lack of support for them in a war (or wars) that much of the country are not so sure we should be involved with. Most of them are coming to the end of their service and wondering where things will go for the future of our forces. The numbers at the moment - 3 of them leave - 2 new recruits are taken on.

What are we remembering? Those who died? The reason they died? Why we shouldn't let it happen again? Have we learnt any lessons?

I dunno. It's one of the issues I find it hard to decide what my feelings are. Not intended to offend anyone with this and hopefully I've worded it well enough not to. I have great respect for the fallen and the serving, but I'm not sure that we remember for the right reasons sometimes. One of my more sombre posts ;)

I actually wouldn't be that disappointed if someone could convince that my negativity is ill founded.

I actually believe that there is a big difference between those that died and gave their lives in the two world wars and those dying now. I choose my job and so did they.

Not one death whenever or however is justifiable but we are "free" because of the sacrifice, bravery and sense of duty that we all perhaps don't have so much of now, and those conscripted gave willingly and wholeheartedly for all of us here and now. They had no choice.

Just the same as some on here don't want to give 50p for youth trials many can't or won't worry about the two minutes silence. The troops need more kit then ask for voluntry contributions on top of tax and see how many give, not that many I bet.

I feel todays society (possibly due to the thatcher years) has moved on from colllective resposibility to the me and now.

Just the same as the guy complaing about police inaction on stolen bikes, what has he ever done to help others but he complains when it happens to him as if he wasn't at fault ever in any way.

So rant over, two minutes absolutely yes, no trials well thats counter productive in my view. There is a time and a trial would be as good a place as any for an older wiser person to say a few words to the youngsters who may not really understand what the day and the 2 minutes is all about, tell them how it was and why the proceeds from their entry fees is going to support those who gave much, much more.

I disagree with Dabster. I think that if a request went out to donate money for non lethal military equipment for soldiers, body armour for example, then people would contribute. In much the same way they give to other charities. People do have a high regard of the services, but perhaps we all need to express it a bit more.

However the liklihood of this happening is about as high as Terry Wogan giving up his

I actually believe that there is a big difference between those that died and gave their lives in the two world wars and those dying now. I choose my job and so did they.

Yes they did choose their job, but if wasn't for people making that choice national service would still be here!!!

I think everyone needs to remeber our troops choose to serve our country, which involves fighting where ever and when ever I government sends them, so even though the population may not agree with the reasons for war, our troops dont choose whch wars to fight.

It takes a special kind of person to make that choice!!!

Edited by thespikeyone

I wonder would National Service be such a bad thing if brought back? Okay I never had to do it so it is easy for me to say, but look at the C**p that we see on the news every week. Kids shooting kids etc etc etc. There has been talk of education until 18 yrs of age, maybe it is another path to take. Or of course you could be a "hoodie" and pay a fine for not being educated up to 18 which would be paid by the tax payer, me and you as they collect the dole, benefits or what ever they call it nowadays. ;) ( Another rant over)

Have we learnt any lessons?

At our service today it was pointed out that since the end of WWII there have been a grand total of 26 days when there hasn't been a war raging somewhere in the world. Incredible to think about, and really hit home.

BTW, Green Fields of France is another Eric Bogle classic. He's got a few pieces along similar lines, all really poignant and worth a listen.