Gearing For The 125

marky g

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to sort the gearing out a bit better on my 125 4st.

I'm finding that second gear dosen't like to pull very well from a standing start up say a hill climb, I'm having to do most decent climbs in first gear!.

I know this is going to be a bit suck it and see, I was thinking of going one tooth up on the gearbox sprocket, some body once told me that one tooth on the g/box sprocket is worth 3 teeth on the back!! is this right?.

Doing it my way I'm hoping to make second gear more lower (is that right?)

I've not really messed around with gearing before so any input would be great :(

cheers

P.S

Where would i get non std sprockets from??

Edited by Marky G

The ratio of front sprocket to back sprocket is figured out by dividing the number of teeth on the front sprocket into the number of teeth on the back sprocket. So, for example, if you have 11 teeth on the front and 44 on the back, the calculation is 44 divided by 11 equals 4. In this example 1 tooth on the front is worth 4 on the back.

If you want to lower your overall gear ratio (less speed in a particular gear at constant RPM), you would want to use a sprocket with less teeth on the front, or one with more teeth on the back. A one tooth change on the front will make a big difference. :(

Edited by brucej