Bearings

stuessenhigh

Just read the advert of someone selling an 04 Montesa that looks pretty mint. Says he's just changed brake pads, wheel bearings, AND suspension linkage bearings.

Now...I'm just wondering...am I neglecting my Beta. I ride it 2 or 3 times a week (its an 02 model) and I still haven't changed a single bearing. They all seem OK for me..but should I be more carefull and get these things done?? :(

You should definitely be serviceing your wheel bearings.

Once a year, minimum...thats if your bike stays pretty clean and you're careful about how you wash it.

Just pop the wheel off, peel the little rubber seal out with a small screwdriver (even a paperclip), and pack in some grease. very easy.

Not much for you to do with the suspension being that you have no linkage.

Are muddy conditions worse than dry dusty conditions ???

Apart from the obviously thicker coating of crud that covers the bike in muddy conditions.

I have ridden in very muddy conditions but I find that dust seems to be worse.Where I ride is very dry and dusty and with the very liberal spraying of WD40 all over,the dust sticks to it like a fly to flypaper.

It can ,and does get everywhere ,which will include all the bearings and create an abrasive grease,which the pressure washer gets water into.Its even worse on the chain with the build up of dust on it. :(

Maybe its just the type of dust that I`m riding in ,which is a cross between sand and mining slag

I check mine at every wash

regards

N

WOW..thanks guys. Will grease my wheel bearings tommorow Charlie. Bit scared about greasing the swingarm though...I guess that means removing the swingarm..is it difficult??

I'm pretty sure my wheel bearings have no play in them,,,but its good idea to grease them...thanks for that. Guess I should be giving the Beta a bit more TLC!! :(