Week 44 - Personal Relationships

Andy

04022007174712-0a.jpg

Believe it or not, but I always read the comments posted in reply to my column, usually before I start writing the next one. Rarely do those comments encourage me to continue the subject, but having just read the fourteen replies (by Friday evening) relating to last week

04022007174712-0a.jpg

Instead of riding last weekend, I went to the NEC for the International Bike Show, primarily to buy some road riding kit for aforementioned daughter, as I bought a road bike back in the summer (VFR 800). Nothing strange in that you may well say but I have to say it was a real eye opener. I certainly don

Yes Michael, I have met your daughter and if you remember I once asked you at the SSDT if she was your "partner"! And you replied "what do you take me for, of course it's not my partner it's my daughter for heavens sake!"

Well, I didn't know if you had a liking for younger women did I?

You can't be too careful you know... :banana2:

Big John

Totally agree with the comments about letting the kids learn at their own pace. I have seen many kids in tears from their fathers shouting at them.

However, you pointed out the relationship between Tom and Paul Sagar, if you have been to any of the British Youth events when Tom was riding you will have definitely heard Paul shouting and it certainly hasn't hindered Tom's enthusiasm.

One of the best farther son teams ever must be Doug and Mart, but I can remember early on at world round's people saying why is he yelling at the poor kid so much! it must put him off.

I never thought he was yelling at him in anger, more making sure he knew just were he was and what to do next, history proved they were a formidable team that worked well together.

Could trying to copy the success of Mart and Doug be part of why you see some yelling at the youth ?.

Difference is, Mart had been there and knew just what was needed, some fathers have no clue but think by yelling they are encouraging the kid, I even seen one father minding who couldn't even ride round the course and had to walk the bike down slopes that my 7yr old wouldn't think twice about riding down, but he would still shout at his kid he wasn't going at the four foot rock step properly when he clearly didn;t know how to go at the step. I found my lad will listen to other peoples advice better than mine, so I let him glean it on his own while riding trials and if he wants help or advice from me, he knows he can come and ask.

I do want my boys to be competent riders

And enjoy trials as a club sport, but I have no desire for them to make it a career.

I do want my boys to be competent riders

And enjoy trials as a club sport, but I have no desire for them to make it a career.

That's an interesting comment. YOU have no desire for them to make it a career but what if they want to? Not having a go but interested in what you meant by that.

I see your point, I meant they don't have to ride trials because it's my passion, and the reality of making a career out of the game is not a wise careet financial move for most, yes a very few have made a career of it, very few.

The monies set aside for their future, is for school not trials bikes, if they can get through college and still would like to have a shot at being a professional trials rider, then they have the education and should be smart enough to know how to pay their own way.

If they blob college and try for a career in trials, I won't stop them, but I wouldn't throw money at them either.

If you want to make some money at a sport, pick a sport that has some.

When I was learning trials at 13 to 15 years of age my father never yelled at me but for some unknown reason it would always tick me off when he said "may i make a suggestion". In retrospect his suggestions were valid. I was just at that age where I wanted to do it for myself and not for him or anybody else. That I think is the greatest gift that this sport has given me. Ride over that log for yourself and no body else. Get up that hill because you want to not because your expected to.

I sold my trials bike to go to college. Sounds kinda weak but i cried that night.... (sob poor pinky never new it was comming) Then when i graduated and got a job I went out that week and bought a gasgas. I had to eat pasta for two weeks and return cans for gas money untill i had recieved my first paycheck but it was worth every penny. That bike spent a month in my new appartment. I didn't have any furniture but i had a gasgas. After i rode that bike in the first trials i had been in for 5 years i knew that all of my hard work has paid off and i was where i wanted to be.

I have see so many kids being handed new bikes every year, throwing helmets, swearing, yelling back at the parents, parents yelling at them that it makes me sick to think what they will take away from this? I just can not relate to doing something just to win at it. I do it because it is fun and I get some thing greater out of the sport. Sure i get frustrated at myself and what ever obstical i can blame but at the end of the day i am still happy.

There is a ballance there Ishy. I think your doing the correct thing. Supporting dreams does not always mean financing them. If they wanted to live the sport they would find a way.

--Biff

"The year was 1963, and even then I was crafty enough to get one of my mates to take the picture which I then sent to the local newspaper (the Slough Observer), which of course featured yours truly heading the drifters in the snow."

Mike where did you live back in 63?