Websites

rabie

Hi all, technical question for you all

Been running my clubs website (http://www.sidcupmotorcycleclub.co.uk/) for ages - March 2000 i think. I'm by now somewhat confident with html and have some basic understanding of css and am using a (old) WYSIWYG editor. I'm still using framesets (i know its evil) as i want to show some of the same data across the thousands of pages i've got.

I would really like to modernise the site, and as i look around at other clubs sites, many have taken advantage of stuff like PHP, mySQL, jamoola, etc, etc - but for my sins i really don't understand how all this database driven stuff works. even some reading of various products manuals, wikipedia, etc doesn't really inform me enough to know whether this is something i could do or even where to begin.

A quick nose around reveals that several of you out there run club websites that have utilised this sort of stuff and some pointers about this subject (and what pitfulls to avoid) would be really useful

as i understand it, i have sufficient webspace and database support from my hosting company but beyond that i'm rather clueless

the idea of CMS appeals to me as we run a lot of events across several disciplines (ie Trials, MX, LDT and Enduro) and now have several computer literate members who would be capable of doing some work themselves.

not sure how related this is, but i would love to work out how to do some sort of automated gallery so that photos could be uploaded a lot easier than they are now (creating pages of photos using a WYSIWYG editor)

i don't think i want anything too clever (like feedback forms or e-commerce shops of anything like that) and am somewhat ambilivant about adding a forum (web is full of underused and underpopulated forums)

hope that gives you some indication about what i'm on about, please ask any questions if that would help

thanks in advance

rabie (aka Jamie Clarke of Sidcup & DMCC)

I have been using CMS based website engines for around 7 years and they are the dogs danglies. Ross' site and totaltrials site are both using the Seditio engine Found Here. This is a great little free CMS with many features and plugins. I know it very well and could help you out if you want to try it.

The main free CMS these days is Joomla Found Here I have been playing with this on my localhost server on my computer for about 3 months and it is very powerful. Maybe too powerful for the average Joe but nevertheless a good CMS with lots of community support.

With both CMS engines, personalising them will involve modifying some of the core graphics images but its not too hard. Depends on how far you want to go. Ross' site took a fair bit of time with me creating a lot of original graphics and of course the flash header. It's up to you really.

If I can be of help, please let me know.

:closedeyes:

p.s. You will need a MySql Database too

If I can be of help, please let me know.

But not till you've sorted the ads on the TC Forums :closedeyes:

A CMS can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. When I first built TC I wanted one that was as simple and basic as possible for Clubs to be able to post their own news. That was fine back then and it's done a perfect job, but things have changed a lot since those days and I'm now actively looking at alternatives. I expect to start a beta testing programme for selected news contributors in the New Year with a total revamp of the front page/news element of the site. TC at present (as well as Richmond Motor Club and Yeadon & Guiseley) are based on a CMS called Absolut Engine, though the TC one has been hacked to pieces by me. It is very basic (or was, I've not looked at how it's developed for ages), but is very easy to customise and re-skin to suit your site.

I use Joomla for the Impreza Drivers Club website and it's pretty much all singing, all dancing with a massive user base. It's probably overkill for a Club site TBH. The one Ian mentions, I have used a previous incarnation of it. He swears by it, but I didn't find it overly friendly to get to grips with.

Just be wary when Atom says "It's simple".

He introduced my to 'Land Down Under' a few years ago. This has caused me to visit several mental institutions over the years and I still haven't managed a decent web site from it due to being thick as pig shlt. :closedeyes:

Edited by bikespace

Just be wary when Atom says "It's simple".

He introduced my to 'Land Down Under' a few years ago. This has caused me to visit sevreal mental institutions over the years and I still haven't managed a decent web site from it due to being thick as pig shlt. :)

HA HA. You really suprised me Gaz as I thought a Guy like you in the trade would pick it up in no time. It is easy to set up. The tutorial is easy to follow and the first time I used it, It shocked me when it all worked ok first time. I thought it was going to be much harder.

If you need some help with it then I can help you too. Once you get your head round it you will be asking yourself why you never done it before :closedeyes:

The only tricky bit is setting up the MySql Database using phpMyAdmin for the first time.

my key question really is could either of you explain the basics of the it all first. i really don't grasp the database bit - i mean i've used access and apreciate how powerful they are but don't understand how one makes one (or whatever) to allow one to get to the CMS stage, where i presume lots of trial (dab pun) and error get me the a site looking like i want it

secondly the actual CMS bit (beyond the webmaster) editing component isn't so central as i've only a handful of users in mind (rather than any tom, dick or harry), what i'm more concerned about is trying to streamline the content delivery and bring it into the 21st century (delivery and graphically), as i think/hope the content is already there just very labour intensive and possibly not as accessible enough to joe public

editing graphics is not my field at all (ie i can do paint buts that's about it!) so i might have to really beg, borrow and (hopefully not) steal for that one

I guess this would require a complete new site from the ground up so anyone's thoughts and comments about how to design and present a club site (we're a large club putting on a lot of events across 3/4 disciplines) would also be nice (learn from the others before i repeat your mistakes - i hope!)

thanks guys