Help Needed - Bultaco Sherpa 49 Exhaust

woody

I need the chrome front pipe for a Bultaco Sherpa 49 - the original horizontal type not the kit version as fitted to type 80 for the downward pointing silencer. There are none available in the UK at the moment, I've tried the US with Hugh's, Hogans and a couple of others but no luck.

I've found a website in Spain for Romeromoto and they have them but I can't speak Spanish and his English is not too good - communications have failed after a couple of e-mails.... He has them but I just can't order one...

Does anyone know of anywhere that has these exhaust pipes for sale?

Mr Greeves - do you know of anywhere in Spain that I can get one from? They must be available somewhere as they are fitted on restored bikes

Maybe if you know anyone coming from Spain to the Classic Offroad show in February, they could bring one with them and I could pay them there - or send the money to them first.

Hi Woody

I also tried to get one of these for a long time eventually getting one through a Spanish friend who I have e-mailed for source. He got it through Romeromotors and informs me that they are out of stock there at the moment but are planning to have them in soonish. From experience, this could mean a long wait. There is a Matador exhaust system on Ebay US at the moment. The mk 4 fits but this system looks earlier and unless it is for a radial head it should fit. Needs some work though. Having said that many of the pattern exhausts also need work as they are not generally well made and don't quite fit without a bit of heating and bending.

Link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bultaco-Mat...sspagenameZWDVW

You could try Dave Martin who fabricates bits and pieces and offered to make a model 80 exhaust for me.

Link - http://www.1stclassmotorcycles.co.uk/

If anyone is looking for the model 80 exhaust the new 'Sammy Miller ' has some under Bultaco slimline in the online catalogue. A bit of bending is required though.

Tim

Hi Woody

I also tried to get one of these for a long time eventually getting one through a Spanish friend who I have e-mailed for source. He got it through Romeromotors and informs me that they are out of stock there at the moment but are planning to have them in soonish. From experience, this could mean a long wait. There is a Matador exhaust system on Ebay US at the moment. The mk 4 fits but this system looks earlier and unless it is for a radial head it should fit. Needs some work though. Having said that many of the pattern exhausts also need work as they are not generally well made and don't quite fit without a bit of heating and bending.

Link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bultaco-Mat...sspagenameZWDVW

You could try Dave Martin who fabricates bits and pieces and offered to make a model 80 exhaust for me.

Link - http://www.1stclassmotorcycles.co.uk/

If anyone is looking for the model 80 exhaust the new 'Sammy Miller ' has some under Bultaco slimline in the online catalogue. A bit of bending is required though.

Tim

I emailed Romeros and he was able to have enough English to reply and told me that they have the type 49 exhaust in stock, 75 euros which I thought was very reasonable with today's prices, but then I nearly peed myself at the next sentence which was 35 euros postage, but I guess still not too bad at an overall cost of about

Hi woody

The Sammy Miller product model 80 pipe does not have parallel bends (as it has been fabricated over bobbins) so the exhaust narrows at the bends. Cutting off the last bend and the narrow part will leave the exhaust short. Too short even for rubber hose joint.

I 'adjusted' my pipe by gripping the pipe in a vice using soft jaws, heating rings in the part to be adjusted with two mapp guns then easing with a short length of scaffold pole into the correct shape. Propane/butane guns might do if the pipe can be heated cherry red. Done carefully the end result will not distort but unfortunately the chrome does suffer.

Two years ago when I restored my model 49 I bought a wreck and almost all the main comonent parts 2nd hand. Now almost nothing for early Bultacos comes up. Has ebay emptied all the sheds of England?

Tim

Edited by bultaco49

ok, thanks for the info Tim, I had thought that after cutting off the last bit that is angled down, I could weld on a straight extension piece to the same length as the 49 pipe and then get it rechromed - last resort obviously.

I'll keep looking. I can get by with what is on it at the moment but the fit is not ideal. However, it works so I can at least use the bike - just want to get out and ride it... it's quite a pokey motor from the quick spin around the garden I've had.

Woody why don't you send the Spanish bloke Euros registered post or do a Internatioinal Bank transfer, you need his International details to sort it. Or failing that if he uses ebay he can send you a Paypal invoice. It's a small world nowadays when it comes to moving money around, :thumbup: