Airbox Removal

neonsurge

My adventures in mechanical imcompetence continue. I want to remove the airbox to check the rubber boot for tears and get easier access to the intake manifold to check that and take a look at the reed block. However, I can't get the airbox off! I've removed the screws in the "subframe" and loosened the boot at the carb, but it steadfastly refuses to shift. I feels like it's still attached somewhere on the right hand side where the mid pipe meets the silencer but there's nothing obvious and I wondered if there's something I'm missing.

I anyone could quickly outline the procedure for airbox removal I'd really appreciate it and promise not to ask any more daft questions for at least a month. Deal?

Thanks in advance...

The airbox is the fiddliest thing on the Beta but is still straightforward enough: -

Remove the rear silencer (1 x nut & bolt)

Remove the middle box (1 x bolt then twist and pull)

Undo the 4 subframe screws

The airbox should now drop down and come out unless somebody has siliconed the gap between the airbox and right hand frame (good mod to stop vibration).

When putting it all back together, the rubber boot to the carb is best done with the middle box still out. Fit the exhaust last.

Follow Kinells advice neonsurge and you should be fine.

Only difference I find with mine (though probably my own ham-fistidness..."spelling?)....is that when I replace mid-exhaust, I have to do it before I secure the bolts that hold the airbox. BUT..it IS easier to put the carb etc back in place without the mid exhaust....I usually just have to kind of put the mid exhaust and airbox in position at the same time..and jiggle them around a bit :hyper:

Thanks for everyone's help. Following Kinell's instructions, I had the airbox off in a couple of minutes and the intake manifold and reed block were in my hands in just a couple more. To use an obscure movie quote: "Jeez Frank, they come to bits easy!" (Any guesses? Big hint: Peter Jackson).

Windlestone: I'm an ex-GasGas owner and I can honestly say that the Beta is far easier to work on than my old TXT (can't comment on the Pros). I can remove the carb, clean, re-jet (or whatever) and re-fit in less than 5 minutes using only a flat blade screwdriver. Maybe all the electrical gubbins are a bit more accessible on the Gasser, but there's not much in it.

I didn't lie about not asking any more daft questions because this one's not daft... I think! Thanks to everyone's help, I managed to get the airbox off and removed the intake manifold and reed block. When I compared the bits on the workbench against the exploded diagrams, I noticed that I was missing a part (no. 32 on the diagram called "10-67362 special o-ring" in the parts list). I'm wondering if this could be contributing to my ongoing pinging problems?

Furthermore, I have a gasket between the reed block and the casing that's not on the diagram. I'm slightly confused :hyper: Can anyone shed any light on this? I guess that o-ring thing is pretty important for sealing the intake properly?

Edited by neonsurge

I just did the same thing on my '01 because of some cracks in the intake manifold. Mine didn't have the "special o-ring" either so I ordered it along with the manifold. When I got it it was a large diameter material and there is no grove for it to fit in. It seemed to make the fit rather poor so I just tossed it in the tool box and put everything back together. I can't tell you what it is supposed to do but I can tell you that my bike runs perfectly without it. I sprayed the propane torch ( not lit of course ) around the manifold with the bike running and didn't have any leaks so I'm not worrying about it.

Edited by Terry