Identifying Model

manz

I'm gettin an used montesa trial bike, and my biggest problem seems to be people who think their bike is newer than they really are.. Ie, no chrommed pipe, rear break calipers look like -98 (claming model 2001). So id would like to know if there is a way to identify the year of make, from a frame/engine serial number?

-Manz

I was told a little while ago that within the Frame number would be the letter R followed by either another letter or number, such as :-

RV would be a 97

RW 98

RX 99

RY 2000

R1 2001

R2 2002

R3 2003

R4 2004

How true this is i don't know, maybe some of TC's Montesa owners can verify this.

Gaff.

If its 2001 it should be Red with a metallic effect tank. Showa forks, Chrome front pipe, inboard rear brake caliper, four pot AJP front caliper and Dellorto 26mm PHBL carb. There's a few other small things but if it can't pass the test of having this kit then it isn't a 2001.

A smart move would be to take the petrol cap of an see what colour the tank plastic is - if its white then its either a 97 or a 2001 (or later) if some how it was a 97 then it would have paoili forks.

Hope this helps.

Thank you guys! I'll take a closer look at the bike tomorrow.. I had a quick look at it last week, and started surfing. One thing for sure is that the front section of the pipe is black. Tank was red.. Didnt notice what make the forks were, but they had the same "wierd" color that the new bikes have. and front so the pipe could have been changed (due to damage etc). If it's an 2001 then my bultaco 325 -75 is getting a new pal :hyper:

-Manz

Edited by manz

Well, I did check out the bike, noticed it really was a 2001, and got it :hyper: It runs nice, and I've already got some goodlooking bruises all over. The front exhaustpipe was changed to a non chromed one.. but everything else was ok.

I'll leave this thread open if other people are wondering about the same thing.

-Manz