Exhaust Almost On Fire Help

angusgill

After riding 5 miles on the road gently in 6th as i was getting to my destanation my exhaust was smoking alot and when i stopped and looked down the end it was glowing red a tiny bit!!! and smelt like burning packing what could be going on??????????? i'm worried it is ok when i do trials around the quary and woods.......

After riding 5 miles on the road gently in 6th as i was getting to my destanation my exhaust was smoking alot and when i stopped and looked down the end it was glowing red a tiny bit!!! and smelt like burning packing what could be going on??????????? i'm worried it is ok when i do trials around the quary and woods.......

Oil, unburnt petrol in the baffles heating up and catching file....happenned to me last year on the way up the Penstock Road to Blackwater It also melted the softbloc mount on the middle pipe and dropped the exhaust onto the Brake hose...expensive. Replace the baffles in your silencer and clean the inside of the pipe best you can

Hi Angus,

Fuel/oil at 50:1 is fine, I've used the same mix for over 20 years and never been a problem. It's just that with puttering around doing trials sections the exhaust doesn't get a good cleaning out and as Slapshot said, it builds up in the silencer.

Bye, PeterB.

I agree, this happens quite a lot with two-strokes that are not given a good hot run, the build up of lubricating oil gathers in the exhaust and then even a modest run on a track or trail gets the exhaust gasses very hot when the motor is pulling well and the lub simply gets hot enough to ignite, sometimes with spectacular results.

I've seen bikes after a long climb sit for ages with blue smoke pouring from the end pipe long after the motor has been stalled!

Big John