Which Ty?

captainfur

Hi all,

I haven't really ridden for 20 or so years (I used to do heaps of trail bike riding 20+ years ago on my old trail bike, usually more trials (rough) type trail riding rather than enduro (fast) type trail riding) and looking at buying a TY175 or TY250 (or maybe other twin shocker, KT250, RL250 etc) to ride casual trials/comp twinshock trials but would like to also to poke around doing some general trail riding exploring etc.

My feeling is that the 175 would make a better competitive trials bike but the 250 would be better as a combination trials and trail bike. What about the RL250? What are your thoughts?

If its relevant I'm about 5 foot 7 and 78 kgs.

Cpt Furr,

Yamaha produced a specific machine for exactly what you desire! It was the TY250A CAT edition which came with forward footrests, an extended bigger seat and lengthened brake pedal, you could also get a luggage rack as well. Gearing and motor were the standard trials set up. If you can find one of these then all you will need is the short brake pedal for trials use.

Tony

All the prime manufacturers of that era 72-80 all made what we would now call "dual sport" bikes, Yamaha had the 250 CAT, Ossa had the Explorer and Bultaco the Alpina so if you want a bike that you can comfortably ride trails on and easily convert to trials for a competition any of those would do and in most cases can be converted to the other use in about 1 hour. If it were my choice I would go for the Yamaha, especially where you are, as parts can still easily be obtained either new or from e-bay.

Tony

Edited by tony283

All the prime manufacturers of that era 72-80 all made what we would now call "dual sport" bikes, Yamaha had the 250 CAT, Ossa had the Explorer and Bultaco the Frontera so if you want a bike that you can comfortably ride trails on and easily convert to trials for a competition any of those would do and in most cases can be converted to the other use in about 1 hour.

Tony

If he wants to do trails and trials wouldn't the Alpina be a much better choice than the Frontera? I thought the Alpina (especially the early ones) was basically the Sherpa T with a comfier seat?

My mistake! now corrected....humbly back to my Yams

Tony

You've probably forgot more about Yamahas than I know about Bultacos.

Speaking of Yamahas, I think I've mentioned this before but it seems like TY175s are way more prevalent at AHRMA events, at least in the West. Is that just me or does that sound right?

Dave,

May well be. Lighter, not much on the AHRMA circuit that a good 175 can't do, I prefer the 250 but I'm biased.

Tony

My theory is that it depends on the size of the rider. My uncle is probably about 160lbs and loves his TY175. My cousin is a wee bit north of 200lbs and is contemplating a 200cc kit for his TY175.

I'm moving to a 325cc Bultaco, so I won't mind an extra burrito or two...

Personally, I'd say the cost of the 200 conversion for the TY175 isn't worth it. The difference in performance is barely noticeable, if at all. A couple of my mates had theirs done and there was no worthwhile improvement.

As Tony has said, in today's classic/vintage events there isn't really anything a TY175 can't cope with. Even in our national classic championship here in the UK which has some pretty difficult sections, a standard TY175 can cope with most stuff as the sections are technical in terms of difficulty rather than big sections that require big power. They aren't as difficult as the national sections of the era for which a 175 wouldn't have been an ideal choice.

Be better off spending what a 200 conversion would cost on chassis/suspension set up. A decent pair of rear shocks, angled like a majesty and good forks. If the chassis/suspension is working well it will be of more benefit than a slight power increase. Just my opinion.

There is an easy solution - buy both ! They are not alot of money to buy and are unlikely to lose any.Compared to most things we buy today,twinshock trials bikes are a much better bet.(Even if its only in terms of personal enjoyment)