Hunting Problem

kingfisher

Have you got the correct fuel in?Normal unleaded can cause pinking,also a dodgy plug can sometimes cause this.Change the plug and check the fuel octane.

As for the tick over,i would give the carb a good clean.The shercos are a bit prone to getting crap in the air filter.I have an 04,filter alway gets mucky.

Ah the caby rep and carb probs, try cleaning the pilot jet (main whilst your at it) or go a size larger on the pilot and check your float height

Thanks for your reply i have cleaned the carb thre times with an air line, what size of pilot would you use and how do you check the float height

Not sure what the Caby came with, but usually around 40-45 on the pilot jet I would think. Ask Addict what he was running?

Be sure the fuel tank is venting properly, there is no water condensation in it, the bowl vent is clear(side of carb) and not only clean the jet, but remove mix screw and blow through low speed passages as these must be perfectly clean!

Hope that helps! :banana2:

what size of pilot would you use and how do you check the float height

The absolute size doesn't matter. One size up from what you have in the carb already should fix it. An engine that surges is typically running a bit lean. Fairly common on a properly jetted bike once the weather gets colder. I try to carry +/- two sizes of main and pilot jets in my tool box. Just ordered a set for the new Beta since I have Mikuni jets in the toolbox but none for the Keihin. A good $12 investment.

While you have the carb off check that the breather hose on the exhaust side of the carb is in good shape as it can get close to the hot exhaust if the carb is twisted a little.

Better yet drill out (carefully) the same vent on the near side of the carb, but attach a short hose as the vent is horizontal and easy to get c**p in the carb without the hose fitted.

:banana2:

i have fitted new plug and using 97 octane fuel

The minimun octane is 98,In my experiance,lower octanes dont always make older bikes pink,but new engines benefit more from the correct octane.The higher the octane,the less chance of the engine pinking.You can 99 now i think.