08 Repsol

nigel dabster

Looking at the recent indoor pictures the (08 works bikes) repsol logos size shape etc, and of course wheel and tank colour don't match mine , so what have I got?

A repsol replica of what?

Dabster, you have a replica that doesn't match mechanicaly or visually to the repsol as you well know! They use similar air to standard in the tyres though apparantly :banana2:

All very well wondering how near to a repsol rep it is.. How long before it looks like a Wiggy rep? :banana2:

Now I could get upset but to be honest (and fair) its got as much modification as I want at the mo.

I need more time on it but on last weeks effort its got potential. If it don't work out its back to the gasser (thats me by the way!)

Munch, you can have first refusal if I decide its to go..........

My only real gripe is the stickers are not compatable really. It doesnt match the 07's or the 08's either.

Mechanically its as much as I need!

Really should do a test for peeps on here as a reknowned montesa hater turned owner I guess I might be near the truth?

Be interesting to hear your views considering how long it has taken you to see the light :banana2:

Really should do a test for peeps on here as a reknowned montesa hater turned owner I guess I might be near the truth?

Honda were probably more interested in signing you up than they were Dougie. They must have noted that the GasGas was just a piece of s**t until you got one, and hey presto, the Honda is transformed the moment you rode out of the showroom with it :banana2:

Honda were probably more interested in signing you up than they were Dougie. They must have noted that the GasGas was just a piece of s**t until you got one, and hey presto, the Honda is transformed the moment you rode out of the showroom with it :banana2:

Bit harsh that gaz.

I'll have you know that the gas gas was always good to me, and whilst others may have said it wasn't any good never ever did I, even when I was Sherco mounted five times. (seem to remember putting a Gas Gas 'stat on an 03?)

Thats not really fair to say I transformed it, my dealer did that with the throttle body and programme to be honest. So much so Perceval and his mate are after the same map I think.

As for the mont perce has been bleating (pun intended) on about it its plus points for so long it did coincide with me wanting to give it a try, and as I was discussing it today with a pal and stated above its got great potential. The only way to find out if its right for me, and more pertinentally the type of sections I ride, was to get one and try it for a few months.

As for not riding sections I didn't do too bad on the first half of the colonial just two behind you james! Lets not mention the second half please........ but what I did feel was I wouldn't have done any better on my Gasser on these sections if at all.

It is a known fact that the clutch and cam changes have made this montesa (08) a much better ride, but I never had much time on the 05/06 anyway, and when I did it was on mud in our centre. I wasn't sure about the Gasser till I owned it and rode it, then loved it.

Hope the mont is the same, and its taking a while to get the hang of it, but if not at least I've given it a go with an open mind and with the chronic 08 shortage it shouldn't be difficult to off load.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Bit harsh that gaz.

Awww come on, I cast a line out for Atomant a couple of weeks ago and he says he can't be bothered, then throw a dirty low down below the belt hit at the Dabster and he comes back with a serious response, and an almost hurt look (I know, I'm flattering myself there. Like you're bothered :) ).

I've got to admit, I've slagged both of the bikes (in minor ways), the Gasser because the 02 Pro seriously hurt my wallet and it wasn't up to standard, but I've admitted they seem to have sorted their **** out since. Then the Montesa, mainly because of the cough and splutter it seemed prone to when it first came out (and the noise problem which I don't like).

While I wouldn't buy the Gasser, just because it doesn't suit the hammering I'm likely to give it, I would seriously consider the Montesa.

I suppose what I'm really waiting for is the Sherco to get sorted, so my spares fit it and my bike can be pilfered for my lads bike, but how long do we have to wait?

Am I wrong here? - none of the Repsol replicas have looked anything like the factory Repsols have they?

Have you tried the bike in some serious mud yet Dabster. That is where I found mine as well as others (I'm talking 05 and 06 bikes here, haven't tried a later one) to be unpredictable. Some types of muddy sections grip was good, other types it was like riding on the rim with no tyre, the bike just wouldn't move. A lot of riders up this way have found that. Even Mark Hicken had trouble getting his to grip consistently and he is brilliant in muddy sections