Turning Rear Tyres

tilertrialler

Someone must know why the direction arrow is there? I suspect you might be right about tyre structure somehow.

Commenting from a position of complete ignorance, it may be more to do with Health & Safety a*** covering by manufacturers in the same way that manufacturers mould 'Not for Highway use' in the sidewalls of competition tyres.

It's a good question. I don't know anybody that doesn't turn them. If they don't they've got too much money :mellow:

Someone must know why the direction arrow is there? I suspect you might be right about tyre structure somehow.

Ditto.

I really believe that there is no difference in grip either way possibly a con to make you think its only ok in one direction?

It's not a con. I did a course at Michelin years ago when I worked in the trade. It is to do with the structure(or was then) as the tyre is made up of lapped rubber and there is one way to use it when you are not working against the laps if you know what I mean. Only a real issue on road bikes where the tyre gets hotter, and remember the big bikes are capable of nearly 200 mph. Only obvious reason to turn is on off road bikes to use the edge both ways. Some times you see HGV tyres that have failed on the side of the motorway and you can see how they are made up. :mellow:

I always turn my rear tyres, that way I can more or less get a year out of one.

Cheapskate. :mellow:

(kidding!)

though a bit like me!

I'll admit that I do it too. Unless you are a top rider and really know your stuff, mere mortals will not be able to tell the difference a way the tyre feels due to the stresses and strains being put upon it's structure if it's turned the opposite way from the manufacturers intended. If you're a sponsored rider then why not change your tyre - you're not paying for them so 'hey'. I, like most will think that turning the tyre is a sensible and viable solution.

I always turn my rear tyres, that way I can more or less get a year out of one.

The one I've got on now is the one I rode the Manx on in August and I have a feeling I only turned it for the Manx :)

When you apply weight, it doesn't spin too much, and the edges don't wear off so quick. My rears seem to wear at the same rate as my fronts these days. :mellow:

Would a novice, like myself, be able to tell the difference between a rear tyre that has rounded edges and a new one as my tyre has done a year

Depends how much you want to get better, and how much you want to put in to get summat out??

Try this set up a slippy secvtion doesn't need to be anything big say just a slippy bank maybe with a turn and then a climb up from nearly stationary.

WITH YOUR TYRE AT SAY 7 OR 8 PSI TRY THE SECTION THEN DO THE SAME WITH 4.

mY GUESS IS THE DIFFERENCE WOULD BE THE SAME (NEARLY) new tyre compared to old.

On rocks it makes much less difference, in fact a one edge off tyre works best in these conditoins.

Do you get what I mean?

Would a novice, like myself, be able to tell the difference between a rear tyre that has rounded edges and a new one as my tyre has done a year

As a novice to trials myself I couldn't believe the difference a spanking new IRC made to my bike. I didn't notice much of a difference in nice dry conditions but once its raining and the sections are churned up its really helped me out.

Edit: To answer the original question - Yes I turned my first Mitas piece of **** and even that made a difference! New IRC kicks its ass though.

Edited by tt5th

Yeah - very true that it depends on the conditions. On dry ground you're obviously not scrabbling for grip, and on grippy rocks and streams I wouldn't imagine a new tyre would have too much effect.

Some people seem to manage with crap tyres. I always remember Paul and Stuart Tate from my youth days, who could ride on slicks and still give everyone a run for their money.

Don't leave it too late before turning the tyre, as the back edge can get too sharp and won't last long once turned. The SSDT roadwork shags tyres very quickly, I think I've still got an old one in the garage which I might keep as a reminder not to buy Michelin :mellow: The knobbles are shaped like ski ramps and 10 of the centre ones are missing :)

Edited by Kinell

Don't leave it too late before turning the tyre, as the back edge can get too sharp and won't last long once turned. The SSDT roadwork shags tyres very quickly, I think I've still got an old one in the garage which I might keep as a reminder not to buy Michelin :mellow: The knobbles are shaped like ski ramps and 10 of the centre ones are missing ;)

Remember helping out in the park ferme one year 86 I think it was the Thursday and back then road race day (or should we call it Kinell's day now :) ) all day folk were coming back in with no knobbles left on their tyres, it was relatively warm but i wouldn't have said warm enough to delaminate tyres.

It wasn't long after the intro of the Michelin X 1 but there were some knackered tyres that day, even came to the attention of the local constabulary.

Personally turn em, mind you I don't get out often enough to worry about it too much!!